Sunday, March 10, 2024

So Far, A Dusting Of Snow

8:24

8:57

9:19

If you believe the weatherman, perhaps the worst (or best) is yet to come. Right now. we are getting light, wet snow, and the ground is hardly covered. I woke at 7:30 (it would have been 6:30 yesterday) to a 31º temperature, just cold enough for wet snow. And bizarrely, the sun broke through briefly, its light reflected on the lake. It's 9:30 and I just looked outside and it's beginning to snow in earnest. Maybe I will have to  get out the snow shovel later in the day.

Canadian Geese

Buffleheads

Saturday was windy, making a paddle unattractive, just like today. So we had a relaxing early morning, my only task, was to gather the trash and take it to the Transfer Station. I left about 10:15, picked up our neighbor's trash, and dropped it off on a busy morning. Once I dropped off the trash, I drove to Lakewood and had coffee with my friend Paul, catching up on his life. I was there for at least a half hour, the shop was crowded with parents and their kids. After coffee, I drove to Wegmans and picked up some goodies for the next few days.

While I was out shopping, Evie was busy in the kitchen, putting together a lentil soup for the week and making a pot roast dinner for the next couple of days. Lunch was a toasted ham and cheese sandwich and I finally finished Ken Burns's Vietnam, an existential experience whatever that means. I can't believe I waited until I was eighty to watch it in its entirety. We lived through the early years from 1967-1970 when we lived in Honolulu but then we moved to Istanbul and were out of it news-wise. It ought to be required watching for high school seniors and I wonder how many of our politicians have watched it. Maybe it should be required for them. 

Neither of us did much the rest of the afternoon, me napping and reading, Evie checking to make sure the stew and soup were simmering. It was not the kind of afternoon where we wanted to go for a walk so we chilled until wine time at 5:00 and enjoyed a good cheese with crackers. Evie had enough cooking during the afternoon, so dinner was the leftover vodka pasta which was just as good as the night before. We watched some HGTV shows and once Evie went up to bed, I watched some college and NBA basketball until I got bored and went up to bed to read. I finished The Women which I highly recommend and am now looking for something else to read. In fact, I liked The Women so much that I sent copies to three of my granddaughters thinking it was a book they would like and should read.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...