Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Partly Cloudy And Windy

6:52

7:22

8:32

It's 7:35 and the sun has just peaked behind the clouds and it may be too windy to kayak very far. It's warm for March, 46º and will get up into the 60s later in the day. I saw that Buffalo set a record temperature yesterday, 72º, nine degrees higher than the previous record set in 1974, Hey, but there's no global warming, right. It's 8:45 and I did get in a brief 25-minute paddle, into a strong southerly wind and an easy paddle home. 

Kayak Morning

Blue Skies North

Yesterday was a bit different for me. After a short, early morning paddle and the blog, I left at 9:00 to go play pickleball in the gymnasium of the old Mayville High School, a 15-minute drive. I played once before, about a year ago but my good friend, Ron, talked me into playing again. Seven or eight of us played on one court, alternating players on games up to seven. I can see why they use a whiffle ball because I was a champ at whiffing the ball. Embarrassing. Fortunately, an 86-year-old gal took me under her wing and gave me good advice on how to play. I am going to try and play once or twice a week, depending on my mood. On my way home, I stopped at Tops for some groceries and ran into my good friend Jack who is off on a trip to Trinidad and  Grenada for a couple of weeks. He was nice enough to offer us his tickets to Les Miserable next week at the Shea in Buffalo. 

When I returned, Evie had been busy with some Spring house cleaning although it's not Spring yet, just feels like it. I was not very hungry so I just had a bowl of Evie's veggie soup and watched Episode Seven of the Vietnam War. Interestingly, I just started a new book, recommended by our 91-year-old former neighbor, Joyce, called The Women, by Kristin Hannah. It's about the nurses who served in Vietnam and so far, I really like it, a perfect complement to the Vietnam series. 

It was a warm and lovely afternoon, too nice to stay inside so I did a bit of yard work, pulled my bike out of our neighbor's garage, rode it down the street, and stored it in our garage so I can ride it if the weather stays this nice. Unfortunately, rain is predicted for the next two days but I will be ready to ride once it gets nice. I also got in a brief nap, of course, before our happy hour at 5:00. Around 6:00, Evie put our dinner together, a chicken and veggie curry, over rice, perfect. We finally finished the first season of Marcella, then watched  Hometown and finished the night with Bill Maher's Real Time, always funny and interesting. 


3 comments:

  1. Always a delight to read the blog! We’re at Chautauqua Shores, and met you both while walking in the Institution. Wondered if you’ve seen the movie “The Holdovers?” Thought you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it and watched it at the Reg Lenna in Jamestown and want to see it again. In fact, we watched Sideways again last night just to see Paul Giamatti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, super! Great idea to rewatch Sideways! Maybe we’ll try to find that this weekend!! Virginia

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...