Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Paddling To The Zac Brown Band

6:37

7:15

It's 8:50 and it has clouded up, the sun was out for maybe forty-five minutes.  I was out for an hour, listening to Zac Brown, my favorites tunes, "Chicken-fried,' and "Toes."  I guess I am late getting into country bands like Zac Brown.  The lake is quiet, a few fishing boats and me and I spotted a couple of herons, not eagles or osprey this morning.  I just heard some commotion upstairs so Evie must be getting up.  I wish I could sleep in beyond this morning's 6:15.

Kayak Morning

A Heron Ballet

Woodlawn Creek

Above The Reeds

Yesterday was a harbinger of Chautauqua gray, what much of our winter brings.  It was cloudy most of the dreary day although we did get a half-inch of rain over an hour or two in the morning.  It was nice to sit on the front porch, listen to the rain, and write my blog.  From that point on, having finished my blog and breakfast, it felt like the longest day of the summer. Unfortunately, Evie came up with something to break up my boredom, taking apart a downstairs closet, washing it down, and rearranging it again.  Once that was done,  I sat around and waited for lunch, some leftover chicken, stuffed mushrooms, and coleslaw, and watched some TV but tired of both the NBA and my series. I decided to take a nap and started a new book, Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, recommended by my good friend Mac.  

Our Backyard

After my nap, it was basically looking out at the gray and waiting for dinner as I read my book and returned to my computer and then to my book again.  Evie had a good idea and invited our neighbors, Joyce and Kathy over to watch Three Billboards in Ebenings, Missouri, a film we thought they would like but we had seen a couple of times.  She made some popcorn, set up the TV and the three of them were happy for a couple of hours.  I was bored, wishing I could find something to do but did not feel like practicing yoga.

Finally, wine time arrived at 5:00 so we decided to sit out on the dock and enjoy the gray sky, the quiet lake.  We lingered out there until it was time to put together dinner.  Earlier in the day, Evie had cut up and baked eggplant slices.  She added the eggplant to sauteed tomatoes, added spice and pepper and we had a healthy pasta dinner with a salad.  We watched two episodes of Bonus Family but realized we did not like any of the characters, especially the bratty son.  So we tried something else I had read about which was supposed to be excellent, a documentary on Apple TV called Boys State.  It follows hundreds of high school boys in Texas as they attempt to model our democratic system of electing a governor as well as others below him.  It is excellent and eye-opening about the process and the young men are honest and mostly sympathetic.  There are also scary moments as emotion not reason tends to take over the hall, reminiscent to us of the Trump supporters.  It's hard to view anything without comparing it to our current political situation, the polarity, and craziness.  Watch it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...