Saturday, September 19, 2020

A Sparkling 37º Morning

Birthday Mom And Her Son

It's an exciting day, both for my wife Evie and son Tom as it's their birthday.  It's hard to believe Evie and I have been friends for sixty years, married for fifty-five, and have a son who is fifty-two. Tempus fugit. We wish we all could be together to celebrate this special day.

7:29

7:32

7:33

It's a cold morning, 37º when I paddled out but it did not feel that cold because of the bright sunshine and lack of wind.  In fact, it was a pleasant paddle, only difficult when paddling towards the blinding sun.  On my way back, I was finally rewarded with a shot of an osprey, high in the trees above Victoria.

Kayak Morning

Northern Sky

An Osprey, Perched High Above The Water

Friday was another one of those days that felt like Saturday.  It was a strange day because of the heavy wind most of the day, discouraging boaters especially if they were in a small boat.  I did manage a short paddle, uneventful because of a lack of interesting photo shots.  I was not sure what to do with my day until Evie asked if I wouldn't mind doing the shopping for the weekend rather than her going off with Tyler.  

By 10:30 I was on my way, Tyler was up and Evie was out firing up the lawnmower, getting it done before our neighbors, just kidding.  I was lucky at Wegman's because the parking lot was half full, the store easy to get around in and everyone was wearing a mask.  I spent a hundred bucks quickly and easily and was on my way home by 11:30.  When I got home, Evie was still mowing and I put away all the goodies although we are running out of room in both the refrigerator and freezer.  Lunch was the leftover barbecued chicken and noodles and I watched some basketball.  

I was tired enough from a hard morning shopping that I fell asleep reading.  While I was napping, Evie started to do some prepping for dinner although she had marinated the butterflied leg of lamb in the morning.  Tyler was out for a long run, taking Webb's Trail for over seven miles.  That boy lives a healthy life.  Around 4:00, we went over to our neighbors for a glass of wine.  We were there longer than we expected and Tyler, home from his run, texted Evie, wondering if he should put the leg of lamb in the refrigerator since it had been sitting out for a couple of hours. What a careful boy.  

We were all hungry, so Evie roasted some potatoes, some cauliflower, and made a salad while Tyler and I grilled the leg of lamb outside.  The cut was surprisingly flat and uniform so it only took about 20 minutes to get the internal temperature up to 135º.  We let it rest for 10 minutes and I then sliced it and it was done just right.  We loved our dinner, the potatoes and salad were great and I think we have made Tyler a fan of lamb, having had lamb koftes three days ago, a leg of lamb last night. All three of us pitched in and did the dishes, getting them done in record time.  It felt good to relax in the TV room and watch our show, American Crime, Season Two.  Two episodes were enough however so we watched some junk TV before bed. It turned out to be a surprisingly good day.

I end this with the depressing news of the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a fierce advocate of women's rights. She led the way so our daughters and granddaughters could enjoy the same rights and freedoms as men.

The Notorious RBG




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...