Tuesday, September 29, 2020

A Touch Of Rain

7:09

It's 6:00 as I start this and I have been up since 5:00, alas, another bad night.  As predicted, we did get some rain overnight, about an eighth of an inch, just enough to wet the ground.  I just paddled in a world of gray for the first time in weeks, gray skies, gray lake. I was out for forty-five minutes, a light wind, 55º, and no sightings of birds.  

Kayaking North

Kayaking South

Yesterday may have been the last day of summer weather but its so unpredictable here at the lake that nothing is a certainty.  We had lots of sun yesterday, again, a good day to be outside, working, or just basking in the late September sunshine.  Unfortunately, I drove to Buffalo to return my E-Bike.  It was an hour and a half drive to the bike shop, the same on the way home.  The bike shop made it easy to return the bike which was nice.  On the way home, I stopped at the Silver Creek exit for gas because the stations are in the Seneca Nation, so I save 35 cents a gallon,. I also browsed in a country-western store at this exit which has lots of neat clothes, boots, anything for outdoors.  We stop here once a year usually if we are going to Buffalo.  For lunch, I picked up a sub from a great grocery/deli/meat market in Fredonia called Tuscany.  We love stopping there and browsing the shelves for kitchen items, interesting foods, and of course, the meat counter. 


I didn't get home till 1:00 and Evie was halfway through mowing the lawn.  She stopped to enjoy some of the hoagie and I watched my show, some basketball, before falling asleep briefly while reading my book.  It's one of those books which you keep reading because you are too lazy to find something else. Once Evie was finished with the yard, she relaxed for a bit.  I suggested it might be a good time to go for a boat ride so I took the cover off the boat and we cruised over to Bemus and back. Of course, the wind picked up a when we were out, making it difficult when we returned to dock the boat.  Typical.  

September Cruising

Still, it's always great to be out on the lake.  Both of us were surprised at how warm it was, in the high 70's, so once I put the cover back on the boat, we both went for a swim for the first time in a couple of weeks.  The lake was, well, cold, no other way to describe it yet we both loved it once we got used to it.  Evie hung out for ten minutes while I let the sun dry me off on the dock.  

Monday Afternoon Sky

We had appetizers and treated ourselves to a Manhattan on the front porch before dinner, enjoying the changing colors of the trees, as the day began to wane, the sky darken.  It's dark here by 7:30.  Evie had put together an eggplant and pasta casserole, so it was baking while we sat on the front porch.  We enjoyed it while watching some of the breaking news, always breaking on CNN, then finished the first season of Borgen, the Danish political series. We are excited because we have two more seasons to keep us watching for the next week or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...