Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Total Eclipse Of The Sun

Top Of The Morning

7:18

It's a quiet morning here on the lake after yesterday's afternoon hoopla. The sun is out, the sky hazy and it's a toasty 50º. It's 9:42 as we finish this. I did get in a good paddle, out for 55 minutes and was treated to a couple of bald eagles sitting in a Woodlawn tree. They hung out there for at least ten minutes as I took photo after photo.

Kayak Morning

8:40

Northern Sky

Two Wood Ducks

Bald Eagle

Other Guy

Nice Sun Glasses

Yesterday was a big day around here because of the eclipse. It started for me as usual with a good paddle and shots of a couple of bald eagles. When I returned home, we finished up the blog and I had my breakfast before deciding I needed to get in some exercise since there's no yoga on Mondays, I decided to go for walk around the campground so I didn't have to drive anywhere. I was surprised by how few of the RVs or permanent campsites were occupied although I did spot a couple tents, and people there for the eclipse. I was out for forty-five minutes and came home tired for some reason. While I as gone, Evie was busy putting together a moussaka for our dinner at Linda and Rons later in the day. I was not too hungry so I heated up some ramen and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and watched some TV.

And for some reason, I was really tired so I decided to take a nap before the beginning of the eclipse and I needed it because I slept for an hour. I think getting up so early is taking its toll. From 2:00 to 4:00, then we alternated between sitting in the house or out in the yard, depending on the path of the moon. Unfortunately, most of the time the sky was cloudy so we hardly got a view of the various phases of the eclipse. I took photos as the eclipse was beginning to ebb with a filter for my camera, but they were blurry. The best part was the complete darkness of the full eclipse, and the worst, was the fireworks and music from across the lake as it happened. Ironically, after the eclipse, the sky cleared and it was a beautiful, sunny afternoon with blue skies. During the eclipse, we noticed a few boats out on the lake as well as on the tip of Long Point, hoping to get a good view.

Finally, The Clouds Opened

Darkness At 3:19

After the excitement, Evie finished prepping the moussaka and I showered. We then left for Linda and Ron's arriving just before 5:00. Linda's sister, Marlene, and her husband Jeff, were in town for the eclipse so it was fun to get to meet them after hearing stories about them for many years. They live in Palo Alto and both worked at Stanford, Jeff teaching and focusing on cystic fibrosis research, and Marlene as an administrative assistant. 

The Splendiferous Six

They have traveled extensively so it was fun to talk with them. As usual, Linda had great appetizers and mucho bottles of wine so all six of us were happy. The moussaka was a hit along with a salad and the dessert was baklava with homemade limoncello as a digestif. We never left the dinner table but stayed there talking books, politics, travels, and family until 9:45 when we decided it was time to head home, a memorable day and night. 

The Better Halves

When I returned home, I watched what was left of the first half of the UCONN/ Purdue game, then went to bed hoping Purdue would win but thinking UCONN was probably too good, I was right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...