Sunday, April 14, 2024

A Darkening Morning Skies

7:22

Northern Sky At 8:26

Southern Sky At 8:26

9:03

I woke to some sun and a few clouds at 7:00, but now, at 8:25, the northern sky is dark and threatening, with thunder in the distance while the southern sky is partly cloudy. At 8:45, it's drizzling and 47º with a high later in the day in the mid-60s. I won't be paddling this morning, alas. It's after 9:00 and a fine morning has gone bad as it's thundering, lightening,  and raining, the once sunny sky gone dark gray.

Yesterday was strange because of the heavy winds overnight, sending our neighbors' dock pieces all over the lake.  At first I did not notice six were missing next door and a few minutes later, three pontoon docks from Pine Hill. Evie called both neighbors to let them know what happened. It was obviously too windy to kayak but I walked the shoreline and found a couple of dock pieces along Victoria. I finished the blog and had breakfast by 9:30 when both neighbors came up, one sending their dock guys. Together, they were able to find all six dock pieces, one pontoon and later, Dennis was able to tow the last two pontoons back from the Bemus shore. So by I would say by noon, all was well, all the missing parts were back. 

While they were out, I gathered the trash for my weekly trip to the Transfer Station and I checked Wells Bay to see if any of the dock pieces had drifted down. Fortunately, as I found out later, four pieces were just down beyond the reeds, down from Chestnut Hill. And that was it for the excitement on a Saturday. And to celebrate the end, the sun came out and much of the afternoon was filled with blue skies and a dark blue lake. Our afternoon routine mostly stayed the same with fried eggs and potatoes for lunch and I watched my show. Evie was busy making a pot of her vegetable soup, letting it simmer on the stove for a good hour or two. I attempted to nap to no avail so I spent much of the afternoon reading A Certain Justice, by John Lescroat, set in 1990s San Franciso. It's the first time Dismas Hardy does not appear.

6:02

By 5:30, we were enjoying a happy hour with a good cheese, and the sky and lake were spectacular as the day waned. The only negative was the news, that Iran was firing drones and missiles towards Israel, more repetitious bad news. We wondered why the US was actively involved other than supporting Israel with the weapons they needed. Israel seems more than capable of dealing with the attacks. For dinner, we still had enough tas kebab  and mashed potatoes left over and with a salad, we were both happy. We are on the final season of Last Tango In Paris...oops I mean Halifax so we watched a couple of episodes before bed as well as some of the news from Israel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...