Thursday, September 7, 2023

What A Day

6:47

7:15

It's 7:12, overcast and cooler finally, with maybe some rain in the afternoon. In fact, it looks like it could rain now as the sky darkens over the lake, but lightens behind me. In other words, it's a strange morning. I just returned from breakfast in Bemus and am off to yoga in 20 minutes. It's still overcast and feels like rain. 

Yesterday was typical for me as I kayaked for an hour, shot some birds, then came home to breakfast and finished the blog like always. I was off to yoga at 10:00, a good class with a substitute teacher, Jen Raines. After class, I stopped at Ryders Cup for a coffee and because somehow Joyce knew it was my birthday, I got it free. There are advantages to turning eighty. 

When I got home, Evie asked if tuna sandwiches would be good for lunch. They were great, with tomato and red onion, and I watched the first episode of a new series for me, Swagger, about a basketball phenom and his rise, a series much compared to Friday Night Lights except about basketball not football. 

I had an interesting and different afternoon because I got seven phone calls from all over the states, Maine, Ohio, Virginia, Texas, California, and Hawaii, all from family or friends wishing me happy birthday. I don't get seven phone calls in a year let alone an afternoon. It was great fun and made the afternoon go quickly. After my last call, I ran outside and jumped in the lake because we were having a birthday dinner at Ron and Linda's in a half-hour.

The Birthday Boy

Linda, of course out did herself with dinner. We started with presents, cards, and a cool tee shirt, then wine and a mushroom and sausage appetizer on their outdoor porch, just as it was beginning to cool off. They have a new outdoor patio and put up a string of lights around it, making it like a taverna in Turkey or Greece. We loved it and of course, we had dinner outside. Linda knew duck was my favorite so that's what had for dinner, duck with various fruits and a cherry sauce, mashed potatoes, salad, and a baguette, a meal fit for an 80-year-old. Dessert was a hummingbird cake, with pineapple and bananas inside, a cream cheese frosting topped with coconut, a sinful concoction of flavors to die for. We waddled out of their house around 10:00, fat and happy, ready for a short drive home and bed. Oh what a day. Thanks to everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...