Monday, September 11, 2023

Devices/Media Overload

6:46

7:19

8:59

It's 7:15 as the sun is struggling to rise above the clouds on Bemus Bay.  There's a vast gray cloud bank hanging over Bemus but above, are blue skies and the sun. The lake is calm, and at least 40 Canadian geese are feeding in front of our neighbor's yard.  It's now 9:22 and we are listening to Michael Smerconish talking about 9/11. I did get in an hour paddle, on a practically empty lake, shooting a couple of photos of juvenile eagles. 

Canadian Geese

Kayak Morning

Cormorant

Juvenile Eagle

Yesterday was a day for devices, I guess, phones, and computers, but mostly television, especially in the afternoon and evening. The day started out well, however, with a fine paddle for an hour, some interesting shots of heron, and a pleasant morning in the low 60s. Evie did not get up till late, after 9:00 so I had the blog photos ready, the blog written, waiting for her. After breakfast and the publishing of the blog, I decided to go for a bike ride. Obviously, I was feeling better after my shingrix vaccination so I drove over to Bemus, parked my car, and rode my bike through Bemus, down to Long Point State Park, through it to Long Point and back, about an hour ride the way I do it, with a couple of stops for water or photo taking. I felt good, stronger than usual so I was happy. 

Tip Of Long Point

Black Walnut Trail

I was home by 11:30 and relaxed on my computer until 12:45 when Evie made me a breakfast of a Turkish omelet with feta cheese and tomatoes and toast. At 1:00, the TV marathon began for me, watching the Browns and Bengals game on and off. I had it saved so I took time off to read and nap, returning to watch the rest of it around 3:00. While I was napping, Evie was working out on the rebounder, getting back into a routine. By 4:00. however, both of us were in the TV room and watched the US Men's Open finals, won in three sets by Serbian Novak Djokovic, his 24th Grand Slam, making him the greatest tennis player in history. 

The match took three and a half hours so we did not have dinner until 7:00. We were lucky to have the leftover chicken from Saturday night, so Evie heated it up along with gravy, mashed potatoes, a salad, and corn and we had a great dinner. We took time out from tennis and football and watched a couple of HGTV shows, then an ER before watching a few minutes of the Cowboy route of the Giants before bed. 

What would we do without our devices? Read? Talk with each other? Play backgammon? Play cards. Get Bored? What did people do before TV?  As a five-year-old, I can remember sitting in front of the radio listening to Sky King before it transitioned to TV in 1951 like many radio programs. Before Radio? Probably newspapers, face-to-face communications, plays, lectures, and things that were live. I am not complaining, just wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...