Monday, September 4, 2023

An Overcast Labor Day Morning

7:24

7:31

It's 7:15 and the sky is mostly gray although off to the north is some light. The windows are open and all I can hear is the honking of Canadian geese and a boat or two. I was up at 6:20 and it's going to be another warm day, 68º at the moment with a high of 84º later in the day. It is 9:20 and I was out paddling for an hour, a delightful morning on the lake, nice and calm, with a slight breeze. 

Cormorant Fishing

Great Blue

Osprey

Kayak Morning

Yesterday was warm, so much so we stayed inside because we don't much like heat. I did get in a good paddle early, over to Tom's Point, before the heat took over the day. We were not sure what to do with our day but I decided to get the shopping done with and drove off to Wegman's at 10:30 to get goodies for today's Labor Day picnic. It was a mistake because Wegmans is always seemingly crawling with shoppers on a Sunday for some reason. And the Wegmans app, with the shopping list was not working so I had to call Evie to write down the list. In other words, it was not a good morning. 

I didn't get home until noon, helped put away the groceries, plugged in the car and remarked to Evie that it was hot outside. She agreed since she had been busy in the kitchen, putting together our dinner, a pasta sauce with mushrooms and Italian sausage. Lunch was frozen pancakes that I popped in the toasted, covered with butter and maple syrup. I watched my show, then read some, before trying to nap. For some reason, if I have a bad night, I also have a short nap if at all. You would think I would need a good nap, right. Anyways, the afternoon was mostly a waste of leisure, reading or watching TV although I did sit outside and read for a bit, in the shade with a nice breeze. By 4:30, we decided the only cool thing to do was go for a boat ride. So I took the cover off the boat and we cruised over to a crowded Bemus Point and back along Lakeside Drive, past the 20 or 30 boats parked in the neck of  Long Point, enjoying the afternoon. When we returned, I went for an invigorating swim and relaxed on the dock before joining Evie in the sideyard for a glass of wine. It was the most enjoyable time of the day, with the sun hiding behind the trees, the lake settling down, as the boaters headed home for dinner,

Dinner was really good, the kind of pasta sauce you might get in an Italian restaurant. We watched the first two episodes of a much-ballyhooed series called Who Is Erin Carter and didn't care for it after two episodes, returning to ER and the news. We ended the night with a bowl of Butter Pecan ice cream, Evie's new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...