Saturday, September 30, 2023

Clam Bake Saturday

O Happy Day

7:03

8:16

It's a morning of heavy fog as we are locked in, barely able to see beyond the dock. And what makes it worse for my morning paddle, duck, or geese hunters have been blasting away since 7:00 somewhere to the south, along the shoreline. I am not sure where it's safe to kayak until I can see where the hunters are sitting. It's 8:00 and I just made out a bass boat, fishing off near the reeds, to the south. I  guess I will venture out in a few minutes. I waited to paddle until the fog started to dissipate and realized the hunters were over at Tom's Point, quite a distance from where I paddled. A number of fishing boats were out this morning despite the fog, and I kayaked for 50 minutes on a calm lake, a nice way to start the weekend. 

Kayak Morning

Great Blue Heron

Still Perched Above The Reeds

Yesterday was a typical busy day for both of us since we were having neighbors over for dinner. Fortunately, I did not have yoga so I could help out in the kitchen, mostly cleaning up after Evie. We both enjoyed a leisurely coffee until 10:00 and I was able to kayak from 8:00 to 9:00. While Evie prepped some of our dinner late morning, I was responsible for giving both porches a quick clean, an easy task. I also did up some dishes, helping out in the kitchen.

Lunch was the leftover Salisbury steak and while I enjoyed it with mashed potatoes and watched my show, Evie talked with our daughter Beth for a good half hour, as she had a day off from teaching in Dallas. I am into my John Sanford novel, Righteous Prey, and read it on and off during a beautiful afternoon as we both got things ready for dinner at 6:00. The afternoon went quickly, my only task, was to pick up a couple of dozen ears of corn from Stedman for today's clambake in Euclid, at my sister Linda's house on the shores of Lake Erie. It's a tradition that dates back to the 1950s when my Dad would have clambakes in our backyard. 

Good Friends

By 6:00, we were both showered and ready for our neighbors, Pat and Dave, and their son Darren. On Monday, they are off for the winter in South Carolina, to their new home. They are excited. It was warm enough to sit on the front porch with drinks and corn fritters for an appetizer. We had fun listening to music from the past 50 years and trying to figure out the performers. We sat out for close to an hour before moving to the dining room for a dinner of pork medallions and sauce, salad, roasted potatoes, and Chillingsworth pumpkin rolls. 

Moon Rising

We were awed by the rising Harvest Moon just as dessert was being served,  apple pie and ice cream, a perfect compliment to our dinner since apples are now in season. We bid goodbye and will see them again next Spring.  Evie was exhausted from the day so she went up to bed early but I stayed up and cleaned the kitchen up, like a good boy. My Mom trained me well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...