Friday, August 11, 2023

The Sun, The Sun

6:44

8:36

Well, I woke to light in the bedroom so I knew the sun was up, shining brightly, filling the living room at the moment with its light, a contrast to the grays of the past couple of days. It's a chilly 60º and will stay in the 70s for the next six or seven days. It's 8:40 and I just returned from a shortened paddle because of the wind and choppy waters, making it difficult to get home. From my living room, it didn't look that rough but once I got out in the middle, I realized I wasn't making much headway when I was paddling north, into the wind. 

Kayak Morning

Choppy Seas

Cormorant Bobbing

Yesterday was a strange day in that it rained briefly thrice, hardly getting the ground wet, once in the morning, later in the afternoon, and evening. I timed kayaking right, getting out in the water just as the rain let up. I went to yoga at 10:00, a nice, easy Yin class, always crowded and I am often the only guy. After class, I skipped coffee at Ryders and returned the hedge trimmer to Home Depot. They make it easy and I was in and out in five minutes. I then did a quick run through a busy Aldis, as more and more locals are discovering it's cheaper than Wegmans, especially for essentials like milk, butter, etc. And they finally have self-checkouts, making it quicker to get in and out.

When I returned home, Evie had been busy but made time for a great lunch, an omelet with fried potatoes and spinach. Yum. The rest of the afternoon was unremarkable, as afternoons are becoming routine, reading, napping, perhaps getting a few things done but not always, and waiting for wine time. Yesterday, however, I drove to Bemus around 5:30 and picked up a pizza, something we haven't done in quite a while and then relaxed on the front porch with Utz chips, Evie's favorite, pretzels, and a libation. 

Dinner, then was easy, make a salad, grab a couple of pieces of pizza, and pour a Pepsi. We were tempted to start a film but decided to stick with the news about Maui where a good friend of ours lives. I called him and he and his family are safe, fortunately, seemingly protected by Halehakala, although a former student of mine, who owns a restaurant in Lahaina, lost everything. We lived in Hawaii, in Honolulu, for three years back in the 1960s and it's hard to believe that droughts and fires are common these days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...