Monday, August 14, 2023

Monday Morning Quiet

A Magnificent Osprey

7:03

As I look out at the lake, the sun is high over Long Point, the lake's smooth and calm, and not a boat is in sight, not a sound in the air except for maybe a screech of a seagull. It's a pleasant 60º and should be a nice day, with a high in the 70s and, as usual, a 60% chance of rain. It's just about 8:00, clouding up and I am ready for a paddle. It's 9:30 and I paddled for forty minutes, spending most of my time talking with fellow morning kayakers, Tina and Jim. 

Kayak Morning

Paddling North

Juvenile Eagle

My Heron

Up Close

Sunday was an unpredictable day although I did get in a long paddle. Once I was back, I wrote the blog, had breakfast and Evie needed a few things for dinner so I volunteered to go shopping, avoiding Wegmans' because Target had its opening yesterday and I assume it was a madhouse and a traffic nightmare. So I drove to Jamestown and stopped at Tops on Washington Street, never busy and I always wonder how it stays afloat. They usually have one or two cashiers yet I had no wait. It's certainly not Wegmans, with terrible produce but aisles and aisles of stuff. On the way home, I stopped at a hardware store and picked up a funnel, then at Petersons' for a basket of peaches and a small basket of homegrown tomatoes, supposedly. I rarely have had a really tasty tomato from any of the vegetable stands around here, I guess we should grow our own.

When I returned home, Evie was busy washing the kitchen floor so I left all the groceries on the porch until it dried. I had a great idea for lunch, a salmon salad with the leftover salmon from the last night's dinner. Evie outdid herself, with croutons, blue cheese, various greens, and of course salmon. Yum. I watched my show and started a new book, Properties Of Thirst. I am struggling with it at the moment but will stick with it for another day or two to see if I like it. Neither of us did much the rest of the afternoon, basically waiting for wine time at 5:00.  I did read out on the dock until the wind picked up and joined Evie for a glass of wine at 5:00.  

By 6:30, we were in the kitchen, getting dinner ready, frying up some new potatoes (thanks Tom and Julie), then mushrooms, and finally a couple of New York strips for our dinner. Evie read about a documentary on Baywatches Pamela Anderson and it got great reviews. So that's what we watched and it was worth watching. She's a survivor, of seven marriages, constant press, and paparazzi, yet managed to have two seemingly grounded sons.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...