Sunday, August 27, 2023

Morning Chill

7:21

It's 8:00 and I have been up for forty-five minutes. The house was full of sunshine, then, but now it's overcast, vast cloud banks hang over Bemus and it's surprisingly chilly for August. I didn't get out on the lake until after 8:00 but it was still a good paddle, over to the Boathouse and back to Sandy Bottom and home. I was rewarded with a heron sitting about 15 feet below an osprey, both above the reeds. 

Kayak Morning

Osprey

Same Guy, Different Smile

Great Blue

Saturday was typical as are most Saturdays because of my trip to the Transfer Station. So after a long paddle and breakfast, I decided to get in a bike ride before my task of getting rid of the trash. So around 10:00, I drove over to Bemus, parked just beyond the bridge, and rode through Bemus, to Long Point State Park, around its trails, and back to my car, in just under an hour. It was windy but for some reason, I hardly felt it. When I returned home, Evie had the trash ready, and the kitchen cleaned up so I gathered everything and dropped it off at the busy Transfer Station, same guys, new truck. I have to say they are not the most personable workers I have met, rarely talking, smiling, or helping.

Long Point Trail

By 1:00 I was enjoying the other half of my chicken salad sub and watching my series which is about to end I think. I better be thinking about a new one, perhaps rewatching The Wire, or something like that. I am into my new book, David Silva's The Collector. This is the 23rd Gabriel Allon thriller and I have read them all. Yep. We then dithered much of the afternoon, wanting to get something done, but not sure what so we just hung out on the porch, dock, or couch, I watched a bit of the Buffalo Bills game, then some FIBA basketball but neither grabbed me so I mostly read.

We were showered and on our way to La Cucina Della Nona, a restaurant in Jamestown, where we were meeting a couple of buddies and their wives for dinner. Both were friends from Ohio, where we played basketball together and taught. 

Old Friends, Good Friends

So it's been quite a few years of friendship. Everyone loved their meals, huge portions, such that all four of us took home doggy bags, enough for a dinner. It's always great to get together and thanks to John and Penny, who drive in from Ohio, we do get together. We were home around 8:30 in time to watch the usual junk TV, a bit of news, and then bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...