Saturday, August 19, 2023

Autumn In August

Mug Shot

6:50

9:23

It's 7:30, another bright shiny morning and a chilly 52º, time to get out my fleeces. It looks nice and calm in close but ruffled out a ways although not windy like yesterday when I had a difficult time paddling home. It's 9:40 and I paddled for 70 minutes, down to the Powerboat Club and back, nice and calm going, a bit windy coming home. 

Kayak Morning

Osprey Above Sandy Bottom

Neighbor's Dock 

Our Dock

Yesterday was extremely windy, and it began early when I went paddling. After my paddle, breakfast and blog, I wanted to get in some exercise because there is no yoga on Fridays. So I drove to Lakewood, parked behind the gas station, and rode all the way to Celeron and back. Going, I was oblivious to the wind at my back as I cruised along, enjoying the ride. When I headed back, north, however, the wind was such that I had difficulty on and off making any head way and even walked my bike part of the way when it became too difficult. I thought I would be more protected by the homes on the lake side of the road. 

Celeron

Wind And Clouds

I was happy to get home where Evie was putting together a cake with blueberries, bananas, and peaches, the smell divine. By 1:00, I was enjoying tuna sandwiches and watching the first episode of Season Five of Friday Night Lights. After lunch, I read and napped briefly but neither of us did much the rest of the day except sit inside as the wind buffeted the house, occasionally knocking down branches in the neighborhood although we were lucky to avoid any major branches. I can't remember a day like this where the wind did not just let up but continued most of the day. 

We sat on our couches rather than the porch for wine time and watched the few boats that were out dip and dive as they went up and down the lake. It was not for the faint-hearted. Dinner was not much of an effort, just heat up the leftover wings from Wednesday night in the oven and the fresh corn in the microwave for six minutes. With Evie's fruit-filled cake for dessert, we were happy. We watched a new series on Netflix called Pain Killers, about the making, selling, and devastation of families caused by Oxycontin, the pain killer made by the Sackler family. It's watchable but not compelling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...