Thursday, August 10, 2023

A Gray, Wet Morning

6:14

8:33

Well, it's 7:15 and I have been up for an hour and the drizzle may have finally stopped. It's overcast, not a shred of sunshine, just a gray sky, gray lake, and a light southerly wind. The rain stopped just as I stepped into my kayak, so I had a good 45-minute paddle, as the sky begin to clear off to the north. 

Kayak Morning

In To The Clouds

Paddling North

Wednesday was a busy morning, as I was up early, off to breakfast in Bemus at 8:00, then went kayaking at 9:15 for fifty minutes or so. It was a good way to start my day. Once I was done with the blog, it was already 10:00, time to relax and get back to the book for a bit. By 11:00, however, we were ready to drive to Mayville, to pick blueberries at our good friends, Julie and Tom's house. They live on forty acres of mostly woods but have lots of blueberry bushes in their front yard. We picked for a half hour, left with a couple of quarts as well as new potatoes, green beans, zucchini, and cucumbers, from Tom's garden. It was a trip well worth taking.

Evie's Dahlia

We were home by 12:30 and Evie made me toasted tuna and cheese sandwiches for lunch. I finished Season Three of Friday Night Lights and forgot that coach was fired and was offered a job at the rival poor, mostly black high school, a challenge. I was tired from my morning and couldn't wait to turn on the high conditioner, read and fall asleep. Nothing like a good nap,

By 3:30, I was out trimming our privets with a new extended-length hedge trimmer but I found it was unwieldy and heavy, not something I would use very much so I will be taking it back to Home Depot. I cleaned up the yard and then joined Evie on the front porch, with a glass of wine. The hour or so before dinner seems to be the best time of the day, as we enjoy the view and the relaxation at the end of a busy or not or not so busy day. 

Dinner was the leftover stir fry on rice, with a salad, just as good if not better than the day before. And we finally found something we liked to watch, the 2022 film Living, "the story of an ordinary man, reduced by years of oppressive office routine to a shadow existence, who at the eleventh hour makes a supreme effort to turn his dull life into something wonderful." It's worth watching, slow, in no hurry, with no bells, whistles, car chases, or sex. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...