Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Waking To An Air Quality Alert

6:14

Another hazy but sunny morning and a surprisingly cool 47º. It was strange to wake to an alert on my Apple watch, warning of the air quality, a result of the forest fires in Canada. The NY Times makes the smoke a front-page story this morning. I count four fishing boats out already, as Woodlawn seems to be a hot spot. It's now 8:05 and I was out kayaking for forty minutes, no eagles, just a solitary heron. 

Kayak Morning

Heron On A Dock

Yesterday began with a great paddle because I photographed three of four mature bald eagles, along Tom's Point, near the Powerboat Club,  a rarity for me. We then relaxed with a long coffee morning, in no hurry to begin our day. Evie was making a shopping list and had various stops in mind so she took off around 10:30. I had to drop something off at the UPS store in Mayville, so I was off as well, stopping to pick up a sub at the Lighthouse on my way home. We did not get much done in the morning, mostly watering the red twigs, and moving the hose every seven or eight minutes ( my kind of work). And I did some trimming of the privets, getting rid of the dead wood, filling up a couple of buckets again. 

For lunch, I had soup and a sub sandwich and watched the second half of the Nuggets game from Sunday night. I then tried to nap to no avail, read some, and by 1:30, Evie drove in some I helped unload the car and put things away. By 2:00, neither of us had much mojo so we just hung out until showering at 3:30 and meeting our neighbors, Barb and Jim at 4:10 who were driving us to Tom and Julie's house in Mayville for a special Woodlawn walleye dinner. 

The Guys

Tom grew up on Victoria and Julie on Woodlawn, Tom loves to fish and hunt and often drops by around 8:30 or 9:00 in the evening and fishes for forty-five minutes, just as the walleye are biting. Anyways, they live on forty acres of woods, their house overlooking a pond, a lovely setting. We enjoyed wine and appetizers on their porch but adjourned to the kitchen when Julie began the process of prepping and frying the walleye. 

The Girls

The walleye was scrumptious, fresh, and tasty and along with pasta salad with asparagus, we had a feast. All six of us love Woodlawn so we had lots to talk about. We stayed until 8:00 and we were home in time to watch some TV before going up to bed earlier than usual, whooped from our day. 

A Walleye Dinner At Tom And Julie's 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...