Sunday, June 18, 2023

One Fine Sunday Morning

6:30

Well, it's 7:12 and I just finished perusing both the NYTimes and Washington Post, mostly the book sections looking for new books to read. The sun's up, though the morning haze has diminished it's glare somewhat on a 50º morning. I am not filled with energy yet, so I am not as anxious to get out on the lake as usual. It's later than usual, 9:20 and I just returned from an hour's paddle, over to Long Point and back along the western shoreline. 

Kayak Morning

Chautauqua Belle Cruising By Long Point

Heron High In A Pine

Mallard Mom And Her Babies

Yesterday was a typical Saturday, the highlight being the trip to the Transfer Station, which is not saying much. Actually, the highlight was both my kayaking and bike ride. So, the day started with an hour and a half on the lake, as it was too nice out there to hurry home. I ran into friends Tina and Jim and shot both a heron and an osprey, a good morning on the lake. Once I was finished with the blog and had my morning constitutional, a walk around Woodlawn with my breakfast, we got busy gathering the trash and organizing the TV room closet, something Evie had been working on for a couple of days. Once the trash was gathered, I was off to the Transfer Station, always busy so I had to park behind ten cars. 

Biking Webbs Trail

When I returned home, I was feeling my oats and decided it was time to ride my bike again, after a six-week hiatus. I fastened the rack onto my Outback, attached the bike, and drove to Mayville Park, which was busy with a race of some kind, with both bikes and runners involved. It was a busy park, with both parking lots filled with participants' cars. Fortunately, their route was not along Webb's Trail so I took that first, then hopped on the Mayville trail and Sea Lion Drive, passing the last of the runners and bikers. I was out for forty-five minutes and it felt good to be back on my bike. On the way home, I stopped at Tops to pick up a few things for dinner. 

Lunch was a couple of salami sandwiches and I watched another episode of Friday Night Lights. I think I may be hooked once again. It must be my nostalgia for the high school days although the high school kids in the series are nothing like my high school friends. It's set in 1988 in football-crazy Texas, a different state, a different decade from the 1960. After lunch, it was an easy afternoon for both of us, enjoying sitting out in the sun or on the dock, reading or just relaxing, even dozing. It was a perfect late Spring afternoon, made of doing nothing.

Afternoon Shadows

Around 5:00, Evie got busy and put together our dinner, an old chestnut, pasta, sausage, mushrooms and zucchini with a sherry cooking wine sauce. Once it was done, we adjourned to the porch for libations and appetizers and enjoyed the late afternoon, as the lake traffic calmed down. Dinner was great, one of my favorites and we watched the usual as we may have only one more season of ER. Mark is dying of brain cancer so the series is most certainly coming to an end.  (Editors Note:  There are 7 more seasons after Mark dies -- yikes!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...