Thursday, June 22, 2023

Overecast With A Chance Of Rain

5:34

It's just after 6:00, still overcast as all is gray, the lake, the sky on a 65º morning. I was up at 5:30 so I slept in, sort of, at least it is not 5:00. It's 7:20 and I was only out kayaking for 25 minutes because the southerly wind picked up and it started to drizzle, just enough to get me wet. It's 9:20 and I just returned from breakfast in Bemus at Lake Life which was actually busy for once. Summer people have arrived. 

Kayak Morning

Yesterday was a good day, as I got in a trifecta for the first time in weeks. The day started with a great paddle because I was able to photograph four different herons on my morning paddle. Maybe getting out on the lake as early as I did makes a difference. After kayaking, I had breakfast, finished up the blog, and drove to Lakewood for a fun yoga class. Because it was a small class of four, we were able to spend a good deal of time with legs up the wall, a favorite. After class, I stopped for coffee and talked with Dave for 20 minutes before stopping at both the bank and Wegmans for a few things. I think we hit Wegmans three or four times a week just because we like going there. I bought Evie a couple of treats, a couple of pounds of cherries, and some chips, both of her weaknesses. I finished up my sandwich and because I also bought corn at Wegmans, I microwaved an ear and it was delicious, almost as good as Chautauqua corn in late July and August. 

I am enjoying my new book, Abraham Verghese, The Covenant Of Water, set in India in the early 20th century. And, best of all, I was able to nap for once for a good forty-five minutes, waking refreshed and ready to go for a walk in the campground. I walked for forty-five minutes and it's fun to see how the campers have made their trailers look like home, with landscaping, garages, porches, and anything to make their experience better. 

Dinner With Old And New Friends

By 6:15, we were on our way to dinner with our friends, Judy and Fred, who spend their summers in Chautauqua, and their winters in Davidson, North Carolina. We usually get together every summer, either before or after the season, or both. They also invited friends who live in Lakewood and have been part of the Chautauqua Institution since the 1970s, Lee and Jennifer. As usual, the six of us found out how much we have in common, both people and places. It was a delightful night, with drinks and appetizers on their front porch, enjoying Judy's garden, and a salmon and two salad dinner in their house. We stayed till 9:45, ending the evening with an Evie selfie, vowing to see each other again before autumn. Evie watched some TV to end the night but I went up to bed to read and sleep, tired from my long day and exercise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...