Thursday, June 8, 2023

A Gray, Smoky Morning On The Lake


5:50

Well, it's just 6:15 and I have been up since 5:30 waiting for the sun to rise but because of the smoke, it's hidden behind clouds and smoke. Guys are fishing early, as I can easily see three boats off to the south on a chilly, 49º morning. It's 7:30 and I was able to get in a forty-minute paddle before breakfast. A strange morning kayaking of grey, overcast sky, leaden lake, a few fishing boats, and no birds to speak of.  It's later than usual as I finish this, 9:30, mostly because of breakfast in Bemus.

Kayak Morning

Mostly Gray

Shades Of Gray

Yesterday began with a decent paddle, no birds to see however, but by 8:30, I had finished the blog and breakfast and was off to Jamestown to the dentist, not the way to start your morning. I was in and out in a half hour, having two tiny cavities filled. I felt lucky that I did not have to have another crown. On the way home, I stopped and got the car washed, finally figuring out how to turn off the wipers and emergency brake before the wash. Nothing is obvious in a new car. I was home by 10:30, ready to help Evie as needed with the yard and watering. Unfortunately, the air was so bad that we decided it made sense to close all the windows and stay in the house, venturing out occasionally to move the hose by the privets.

Instead of working outside, Evie spent a good part of the late morning and early afternoon putting together tonight's dinner and making two pans of stuffed shells for our granddaughter Halle's graduation party on Saturday in Virginia, another road trip for us. I had an easy lunch, heating up the last of Evie's veggie soup and finishing the chicken salad sandwich from the Lighthouse. After lunch, I briefly napped, then helped Evie clean up the kitchen. By 4:00, the smoke had lessened so we went outside and I worked on the privets, using a ladder and even setting it in the water's edge so I could get at it. By 5:30, I was done, the privets looked good and we both were ready for a glass of wine and sitting on our front porch. 

Dinner was the leftover moussaka from Wednesday, with some added mushrooms and sauce, a salad, and rolls. Nothing like eggplant, tomatoes, and some kind of cheese to make a great meal. We watched three episodes of The Americans and continually are surprised by how many people they have to kill. It's a dirty business. I watched the first half of the Nuggets/Heat game then went to bed, not knowing who won until I checked this morning on ESPN. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...