Wednesday, June 28, 2023

A Smoky Haze Fills The Morning Sky

7:10

I woke to what I thought was an overcast morning until I saw the air quality alert, a high 165, and saw it was even worse in cities like Cleveland and Chicago, all a result of Canadian wildfires. I had a bad night, just four hours of sleep but I feel fine and will no doubt take a nap. It's just about 7:00 and I have been up since 6:00, in fact, I waited until 6:00 to get up, hoping I might fall asleep again but no luck. Despite the smoke and haze, I paddled for 50 minutes, down to Sandy Bottom and back along Woodlawn, one of two boats on the lake.

Kayak Morning

In The Haze

Morning Heron

It felt good to get back to normal yesterday, starting with a short paddle because of the rain but at least I got out there for a bit. Mondays are an open day, with no yoga, so there was nothing I had to do other than the obvious, a few dishes, making the bed, and perhaps getting something done outside. Like me, Evie had little mojo, no doubt suffering from spending a couple of days with me in the hospital. So we made no plans and took it easy much of the day. I got antsy, as usual, and drove off to the Lighthouse Grocery, saving Evie from having to go to Wegmans, and got lunch, a sub, and ground chuck for our meatball and pasta dinner. 

Lunch was Evie's soup and my chicken salad sub and I am back in Texas high school football, the storm and stress of teenagers. I then took a good nap, at least an hour, and then read some before deciding to get something done outside. I got out the hedge clippers and trimmed our privets which were starting to look unkempt and weed whacked some in the backyard, just to feel like I was doing something. Evie was inside making up meatballs and spaghetti sauce for our dinner. 

Dinner hit the spot as we both enjoyed our spaghetti and meatballs with a great salad. We watched three more episodes of The Americans, so we are back to it and ended the night with tin roofs, vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, and Spanish peanuts. Yum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...