Sunday, March 19, 2023

Still Got Winter


Kayaking On A Winter Morning

7:16

7:19

7:39

Well, it's 7:52 as I start this, the wind is howling and we received five or six inches of snow overnight. Spring is not here. It's also cold, 18ยบ and I am weighing whether to go out for a paddle or not. The lake does not appear to be that choppy because the wind seems to be coming from a couple of different directions.  I did manage to get in paddle but flurries, waves, and wind kept it short, to 20 minutes. After kayaking, I shoveled our parking area and cleaned off both cars, a busy morning. 

Kayak Morning

Yesterday was a classic Saturday in many ways. It did not start well because I could not get the coffee maker to work so I drove to Hogans for my coffee. When I returned, I relaxed for a half hour and then went for a good paddle, scaring off an eagle from Sandy Bottom, his usual hangout. After my paddle, Evie was up, trying to get the machine to work. I then went to the breaker, turned it on and off and that did the trick. Evie had her cuppa.

This Morning At 8:56

8:57

We had a leisurely morning then, in no hurry but by 10:30, the trash was gathered, the cars were cleaned off of snow and we were ready to drive to the Transfer Station, then to Bemus for a walk in the Long Point woods. I checked with the guys at the Transfer Station and they will not take our old mini refrigerator so I am going to have to do some research. They say most places will only take it if I drain the fluids. It was great to get back in the woods for a walk, on somewhat icy and also bare paths through Long Point. We were out for close to an hour. 

Happy Hikers

Long Point State Park

By 12:30, I was enjoying my lunch, the leftover miso and mushroom pasta, and a veggie wrap. I then watched Shantagram and some basketball until I had enough TV and decided to read and, yep, take a short nap. While I rested, Evie worked out on her rebounder, wanting to get in another half hour of exercise. The rest of the afternoon was spent watching some basketball, especially the Kansas/Arksasaw game where my son, Tommy, had mixed emotions. He's been a KU fan but his daughter, Marlena, goes to Arkansas. Unfortunately(or fortunately) Arkansas won by a point. 

By 6:00, we were gussied up (sort of) and on our way in flurries to the Rod And Gun Club. It was not as busy as usual, probably because of the weather, and easily found a seat at the bar. The guy sitting next to us began his conversation with a couple of jokes, an interesting way to start a conversation. We sat down ordered a beer and watched the end of the Kansas game. 

Happy To Be Back At The Rod And Gun Club

There was no wait for a table so we sat down when we finished our beers. I ordered the shrimp extravaganza, five different ways to make shrimp and Evie ordered the prime rib. Both were good and too much for us, so Evie ended up taking hers home but I had enough of the shrimp, especially the popcorn shrimp. We drove home in a blizzard, taking our time and fortunately there was not much traffic. We were happy to be home, cozy in our TV room, watching a couple of shows before heading up to bed. It was a busy but good day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...