Thursday, August 29, 2024

Foggy, 65º And Close (Biking Presque Isle)

9:20

It's 7:30 and I have been up since 7:00. Evie just joined me on a humid, warm morning. The lake is overcast with a heavy fog and it is 65º with 94% humidity. It's later than usual. 9:45 and I skipped kayaking and instead, had breakfast in Bemus Point. 

Democratic Headquarters, Erie, PA

Yesterday was different although as usual, it started with a paddle and some good photos of herons. After breakfast and the blog, Evie did not need me to do stuff so I decided to do something. I put my bike on my Outback and drove to Erie, about 40 minutes to the Democratic Headquarters in Erie. We both hoped to volunteer by writing postcards to registered voters, urging them to vote. We have friends who are doing this in Ohio and California but we figured, since Pennsylvania is such an important state, we would write postcards to Erie residents. Well, I talked with the leaders and they said they found that sending postcards had little value so they don't do it. We talked for a bit and they wanted me to cold call people via Zoom but I am not really sure I want to do that. I left my email and I will see what happens. Coincidentally, Evie just mentioned that JD Vance was also in Erie for the day. I was a bit discouraged because I wanted to help.

Presque Isle Beach

After I visited the Democratic Headquarters, I drove for 15 minutes to Presque Isle State Park. After parking my car, I talked with a couple from Frewsburg who also were going to ride their new E-bikes. I asked them whether they liked them and they were so enthusiastic that they could have been E-Bike salespersons. I then rode for seven miles, out to the Perry Monument, part in the hot sun along the wetlands of the peninsula. Most of the ride out, however, was along the shoreline. I met the same couple at the monument and he wanted me to try his bike but I declined. I then rode back along the water, completing the circle around the peninsula, about fourteen miles. It's a perfect place to ride, walk, or skate and I met many retirees like me, many on E-bikes and hikers, some with strollers. It's a flat fourteen miles, half along great beaches so it's a perfect area for families. Just outside the park is Sara's, a popular eating spot with lots of seating outside. I ordered a Smith's hot dog, with fries and a coke for ten bucks, a deal. 

Cormorants Hanging In Bay Of Lake Erie Bay

Biking Presque Isle Wetlands

Oliver Perry Monument

Presque Isle Lighthouse

Typical Trail Around Presque Isle

I was on my way home by 1:45, arriving at 2:30. I regaled Evie with my adventure, and my disappointment with the Democratic headquarters, then read and took a nap. It was a warm afternoon, so we stayed off the porch, sitting inside with the fan for a happy hour. Earlier, Evie put together our dinner, chicken parmesan meatballs with a picata sauce. We enjoyed the meatballs, with rice and a salad. And I saw a fairly new film both on Prime for 79 cents or Apple TV for 5.95. It's called Ghostlight and it's one of the best films I have viewed in years. Its center is the increasing angst of a father as he struggles with middle age, his wife, and his daughter but it's so much more than that. I cannot recommend it enough. Watch it. We ended the night watching Caitlin Clark's Fever defeat the Connecticut Suns. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...