Sunday, June 30, 2024

Humid And Warm

10:15

I woke later than usual, at 8:30 to my surprise. The sleeping pill I took must have helped along with being awakened around 4:00 by our smoke alarms for some reason, shouting 'Fire, Fire," That was fun. It's 9:15 now and I have yet to kayak on a gray morning but I may yet. It's 10:25 as I finish this after a short 25 minute paddle, the lake too windy and choppy to be enjoyable.

Kayak Morning

North

Mostly Gray

Yesterday was a day to remember because it basically rained most of the day, clearing only in mid-afternoon. We received three inches in that time, precluding any working in the garden and a paddle in the morning. By 10:00, then, I was off to Wegmans to get a few things Evie needed for a couple of dishes she was making and then freezing for our kid's arrival on July 11th. The store was busy despite the rain and it was raining so hard when I came out, that I used one of their umbrellas sitting just outside their doors. When I got home, the kitchen was a mess and Evie had a couple of things going at once, both main courses and appetizers. I decided to help by cleaning up the dirty dishes and that took me 20 minutes. By noon, I was ready to drive to the Transfer Station to get rid of the trash. 

When I returned, Evie had heated up a couple of leftover Italian sausages so thats what I had for lunch and I watched another episode of Tennison. I couldn't wait to lie down and take a nap since I hardly got five hours of sleep Friday night. When I got up, I helped clean up the kitchen and then the two of us fell on couches, exhausted from our day. 

View Of Diane And Jack's Farm, Hawthorne Hill

At 4:00, we realized we were supposed to be at my friend Jack's Open House by 5:00, so we hurriedly showered and got dressed and made it to Jack's just after 5:00. Fortunately, the rain had stopped and the sun came out so that Jack and Diane's friends could celebrate the 50th anniversary of buying their farm in the sun. 

Long Time Friends, Diane, Tom, And Wendy

Three Graces: Jane, Evie, And Julie

We stayed for an hour, talking with the few friends that we knew before driving back to Mayville, to Linda and Ron's for dinner. We sat on their front porch, enjoying appetizers and wine, talking about the debate, the future of the Democratic Party and the possible reasons for Biden's disastrous performance. Around 7:30, Ron put steaks on the grill. He's a master at cooking them medium rare so they were just right. A salad and fried potatoes completed another great dinner. We ended the night with lemon parfaits and didn't get home until 9:45 when we collapsed in bed, exhausted from work and fun. 

Dining At Linda And Ron's Home


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...