Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Heating Up

6:34

8:49

It's a Wednesday morning and still hot even as early as 6:30. I have opened the windows for an hour or so, trying to cool down the living room. It will get up to the high 80s again, like yesterday, which reached 89º late afternoon before the rain. It's 9: 00 and I was out on a hazy morning for forty minutes, a good paddle over to Long Point, back to Sandy Bottom and home, with a run-in to Tina and Jim, here for the week. 

Kayak Morning

An Osprey

I came across the following quotation from Shakespeare's The Tempest, "Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here," and it struck a chord with me as I thought about the world, the likes of Putin and Kim Jong-Un, as well as many of the politicians in Congress, with their hypocrisy, the media, and their blatant lies. I suppose it's always been like this but recently it seems worse, especially with the Maga cult and their dangerous deification of Trump. Enough.

Yesterday was a hot one but we survived. I was up too early, got less than six hours of sleep. By 7:30, I was out on the lake, paddling for a half hour, getting a good photo of what I think was a northern goshawk. After breakfast and the blog, we both got ready, and by 9:30, we were off for the morning, me to yoga and Evie to her kindergarteners. It was good to get back to yoga after a week off and Courtney emphasized the lower back, which we tend to ignore. After class, I did a major shopping at Wegmans, spent too much time trying to find things in the newly changed aisles, then stopped at Ollies to pick up a 100 foot hose which, unfortunately, I will return because I realized it won't work because of our lack of water pressure from the lake.  

For lunch, I bought a hoagie at Wegman's, so I was happy and watched a documentary on Shaquille O'Neil on Netflix. He's an interesting guy, successful both on and off the court. It seemed too hot to nap but I did it and then spent much of the afternoon reading until I got bored and wanted to get some exercise. So I  went out on the dock, jumped in the lake, did some weeding for a half hour, then swam to cool off. It was a good choice. When I came in, Evie was on a Zoom call with her sisters so I sat on the front porch and read where it was surprisingly pleasant with the fan on. Evie joined me after her Zoom call until 6:30 when she quickly made dinner, rice, haddock, and a salad. We watched a couple of episodes of a recommended series on Apple TV+ called Acalpoco but were bored with it so we watched Jeopardy and Cheers and some of the news before bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...