Saturday, October 28, 2023

Morning Rain

8:59

It's a wet, gray overcast morning, not exactly kayaking weather.  A few fishing boats are out on a 60º lake morning.  I have been up since 6:45, hoping the rain would stop. It's 9:15 as I finish the blog up. I was about to go kayaking when the wind picked up and it started to rain again and Evie convinced me to give it up. 

Yesterday was the last (maybe) of porch days. The day began with a long paddle, my usual route, over to Long Point, across to Sandy Bottom, and home. I was rewarded with a photo of a heron, probably the same one I spot almost every morning. He has a routine like me. It had rained some overnight so we decided not to mulch the leaves, again, until the afternoon. I had to pick up some prescriptions at Wegmans so I was off by 10:30 and didn't stop for a coffee at Ryders Cup. Wegmans was unusually empty so I was in and out quickly to my surprise. When I returned home, Evie had made a pot of soup with ramen noodles and bone broth, a new twist on her veggie soup. I had a bowl for lunch along with a great wrap of hummus, cucumbers, tomatoes, and hard-boiled eggs. Yum. I watched another episode of The Wire then napped for a half hour. I then read some on the porch, wanting to be outside as much as possible after four days in a hospital room. 

I then raked some leaves from the bushes and around the dock pieces, then mulched them, fruitlessly, our front yard. After 15 minutes, I took a break and Evie took over and we shared the mulching the rest of the afternoon until the lawn was green again (but not for long). I then did some cleaning of gutters on the garage, cut down some tree branches, and took a pile up the hill to the wood pile. I finished my Walter Mosley thriller, Down The River Unto The Sea, and started Alias Emma, set in Great Britain's M16 world. 

Afternoon Fishing

An Autumn Afternoon

By 5:30, we were ready to relax on the front porch and enjoy the changing view as the sun peaked in and out on the eastern shore and the moon appeared in the eastern sky. We never get tired of our view from the porch, of Long Point which only changes with the seasons, the changing sky, and the water, often littered with waterfowl. Lots of Canadian geese are still out in large numbers in front of our house and we are fairly sure we saw a couple of loons, as they motor by, their heads in the water looking for weeds.

Good Night, Moon

We had BLTs for dinner, quick and tasty, and watched a fairly new film on Netflix called Pain Hustlers with Amy Blunt and Chris Evans. It's an old story now, about the greed and selling of pain medication without a conscience and the damage it does to patients as a result. We ended the night with Bargain Block and a few minutes of the NBA. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...