Thursday, June 11, 2020

Wiped Out (by the heat)

5:25
6:17
7:55
It's 8:15 and I am sitting here by my lonely, having gotten up way too early, 5:00, kayaked before 7:00 on a calm lake but paddled home in the wind and light rain on a morning of many skies.  At least yesterday's heat has dissipated, a result of last night's storm, and the temperatures are back to normal, in the low 60's. 

Kayak Morning
Wednesday was unbearable, with its heat and humidity.  I can't even remember if we did anything other than look for fans in the attic to help keep us cool and lay around the house, either reading or watching TV.  I did kayak before the heat and that was it for the day for me.  It was in the 80's by lunchtime and either because it's the first really warm day of the year, or we just prefer cold weather, neither of us did well with it.  Lunch was easy, soup and a bagel with cream cheese.  I started a new series, recommended by my sister Ellen called Baltazar, a French CSI like crime series. 

Spring Flowering Pink Fantasy Clematis
Clematis Up Close
I napped and fortunately, I went upstairs and turned on the air conditioner which made it more bearable to read and nap,  Evie tried the dock, too windy, gusty and hot, then sitting under a tree until she adjourned to the fan in the TV room to watch some of the news and a show.  I got itchy to do something, so I put the cover on the boat, swam, then got the rake out, cut some lake weeds and swam again, the only way to keep cool.  I also took some weeds and deadfall from the past few days up the hill, passing a neighbor's daughter, running up the hill a couple of times, with earphones, keeping in shape.  I envied her, her youth and energy.

It was too hot to sit on the front porch so we had a spritzer in the living room, fan cooling us, as we listened to the news and feasted on almonds with truffle salt from Trader Joe's, compliments of our daughter Beth.  For dinner, Evie steamed some chicken potstickers from Alid's, made a salad and heated up the leftover chicken and rice from the night before.  It was more than enough for us both, We watched a Colbert, fun and interesting interview with a former NFL football player, Emmanuel Acho, who has a podcast called Uncomfortable Conversations With A Black Man.  He's smart, original, and worth listening to.  We finished the night with the last two episodes of Better Call Saul, which left things open and unfinished, ripe for Season Six. 

I came across this quotation in the book I am reading, Apeirogon by Colum Mc Cann. It's from the Persian poet Rumi: "Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world.  Today I am wise, so I have begun to change myself."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...