Wednesday, June 24, 2020

More Rain Yeserday And A Cool Day Ahead

 Better Together (for 56 Years) 
6:26
It was a fleece morning when I got up at 5:35, a chilly 58º. It's another perfect morning, fall-like temperatures, puffy clouds, and a deep blue lake.  I kayaked for an hour, down to Wells Bay, across to Long Point and home.  The wind picked up but it was not a problem kayaking. 


Kayak Morning
Northern Sky
Osprey In Pine
Hawk In Pine
Yesterday was another day of organizing our day around a couple of thunderstorms and showers.  Overall, we only received an inch of rain but it rained two or three times during the day.  I kayaked early, of course, wrote the blog, had breakfast, and took a shower because I had a dermatologist appointment in Jamestown at 11:00.  I dropped off my returnables, then went to the doctor. Surprisingly, I was in and out in 15 minutes with a diagnosis of some kind of poison ivy or another plant like it. Not much I can do except relieve the itching with a steroid cream and wait it out.  On the way home, I picked up my bike at Hollyloft which was being tuned up and getting a new tube for my tire.  I then stopped at the bank to cash a few checks from mostly hospitals for overpayment, then on to Wegman's to shop for a few things.  It was Tuesday so it was quite busy although I was in and out in 15 minutes. 

AFirst Dahlia, A Humpty Dumpty, AMiniature Variety
For lunch, I had a sub from Wegman's. It's large enough for two lunches, with Evie having a couple of bites each day as well.  I watched my show, took a good nap because I was up so early and read some more of Euphoria.  Meanwhile, Evie was busy making a garlic Foccacia because we were having neighbors, Ken and Marjorie, over for drinks and heavy appetizers.  She had put the dough together the night before so mid-afternoon, she baked it and topped it with garlic and olive oil.  She took time out to sit on the front porch and watch the storm roll in about 4:00.  She also prepped the Polish cucumber salad with sour cream and shrimp which was sauteed in a sweet hot chili sauce.

Clearing Up At 5:36
Ken and Marjorie arrived at 6:00 and we were fortunate that the storm had ended and the late afternoon turned to blue skies.  We caught up our lives for the past eight months and shared teaching stories.  Both of us were educators, both have been happily married for fifty five-plus years, and we both love the lake.  Our multicultural appetizers were a hit,  and we sat on our porch enjoying our food and talking until 8:30.  They left in a light drizzle, like the last time they were here when we sent them home with an umbrella.  We quickly cleaned up the kitchen, grabbed an ice cream bar and watched another episode of Lenox Hill. 

A Poem From Tuesday's The Writer's Almanac: For some reason, it sings to me.

Inaction of Shoes
by Ron Padgett
There are many things to be done today
and it’s a lovely day to do them in
Each thing a joy to do
and a joy to have done
I can tell because of the calm I feel
when I think about doing them
I can almost hear them say to me
Thank you for doing us
And when evening comes
I’ll remove my shoes and place them on the floor
And think how good they look
sitting?… standing?… there
Not doing anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...