Friday, June 12, 2020

Warm Days, Cool Nights

6:14
8:41
It's a cool, bright shiny morning on the lake and I made the mistake of paddling south to Tom's Point and had to fight the wind and waves all the way back, taking a good half hour...not much fun.  That being said, it's a lovely morning here on the lake, early morning temperature a pleasant 57º, quite a difference from Wednesday's high of 88º.

Kayak Morning
Yesterday the temperature dropped to the 60's, a result of heavy storms that night before which did damage in Jamestown but fortunately, we were spared.  I got in a good paddle, had breakfast and wrote the blog while Evie firmed up our shopping list.  We left about 11:00 and she dropped me off at the Keystone garage where I picked up the Honda after some minor work on the exhaust system.  While Evie went to Wegman's, I stopped at Lakewood pharmacy to pick up some CBD oral drops for Evie, then the bookstore, to pick up a cookbook I ordered called FALASTIN, with an emphasis on Palestinian cooking.  I then drove to Wegman's, met Evie, helped shop and we were home by 12:15, after a record-breaking Wegman's bill.  I wonder if eating at home really saves us money.

Perennial Geraniums
I had the rest of the leftover chicken and rice for lunch, watched another episode of Baltazar, then a good nap, a result of my getting up before 5:00.  When I woke, Evie was out mowing our lawn after enjoying some of the sun out on the dock. 

Afternoon Clouds
I did some watering, picked up deadfall, things like that until it was time to enjoy a glass of wine on the porch.  Before that, however, we put together dinner, Evie making the Middle Eastern koftes with ground turkey, cumin, green onions, grated zucchini, garlic, and Middle East spices and I made the yogurt/sour cream sauce with sumac, garlic, and lemon juice.  Once Evie was done she fried them up, then left them to bake after our wine time. The recipe is from Yotam Ottolenghi's cookbook, JERUSALEM.  It was a pleasant night to sit out on the porch, quite a contrast to the heat of the day before.

Around 6:00, Evie put the koftes in the oven and made a salad, and fried up some pita bread.  She then plated our dinner, first the pita bread, then the koftes, topped with the sumac and yogurt/sour cream sauce.  We were in heaven and this is fast becoming our new favorite dinner.  We watched a Colbert, a Hometown,  then two episodes of Defending Jacob on Apple TV.  I read the novel quite a few years ago so it's interesting to see what the filmmakers have done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...