Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Morning Drizzle, Hot And Humid

6:01
7:53
It's just about 8:00 and I was our paddling for forty-five minutes.  It was overcast when I started, bright sun and a blue lake when I returned.  It's already 75º and like yesterday, should get close to 90º before the day ends.  Yuk

Kayak Morning
Hungry Heron
Yesterday was in the 80's most of the day so we were happy to have mowed the lawns on Monday.  After kayaking, the blog and breakfast, we set up the hose and Evie did major watering of all the plants, bushes, and privets.  Meanwhile, I washed the front windows twice for the first time this year.  Fortunately, I was out by 9:30 before it became too hot.  I also got out the electric trimmer and gave the privets another shearing, hoping to stimulate growth in the lower parts.  By the time I was done, Evie took over and trimmed the rhododendrons, giving them some shape and I helped with the parts she could not reach.  Around 11:15, I dropped my Honda off to get some work done and Evie picked me up so I did not have to wait and I will pick it up today or tomorrow whenever it's convenient.

Blue Star In Bloom
By lunchtime, we were ready to hide in the shade or the house where we had closed all the windows to keep it cool.  I had a couple of pieces of frozen pizza for lunch, leftover from who knows when.  It's always nice to have some leftovers for lunches. I finished my series, Bosch, so I will have to find a new one today.  Early afternoon, Evie worked on stenciling and varnishing a table made by our brother in law Walt last summer.  It really looks neat, with photos of dahlias on the top, stenciling of vines and flowers on the side.

Around 3:00, we had enough of the heat, so we grabbed the suntan lotion, floppy hats and went for a long cruise, down past Maple Springs to Dewittville, before heading up.  We were out for at least an hour on a busy lake, the busiest June on the lake we have seen.  When we returned, Evie put together our throwback to the 1950's dinner, chicken thighs, canned mushrooms, and artichoke hearts, covered with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup.

Yum
As it simmered, the smell took us back to our first year of marriage, living in an apartment in Babbitt Gardens. We sat on the porch, despite the heat, cooled by a vodka tonic with lime, a perfect beverage for a hot late afternoon.

View From Our Porch, Late Afternoon
Dinner was great, the soup giving the chicken, mushrooms, and artichokes a great flavor and best of all, Evie did not need to add any salt.  It was all there in the soup.  Served with rice and a salad, I was a happy guy.  We watched the news,  another Home Town, and finished the night with Better Call Saul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...