Friday, July 29, 2022

Another Cool Morning


   

An Evening With Evie's Sister, Elaine, and Husband, Jim

6:21

It's a beautiful morning as the sun just rose at 6:20. A partly cloudy sky, 61º. a perfect morning to be out on the lake and already I can see a few fishing boats out there. It's now 8:24 and Evie and I are the only ones up. I got in a good hour paddle, and photographed an eagle on a busy lake morning as four kayaks were out by 7:00. 

Kayak Morning

Northern Sky

An Immature Bald Eagle

Yesterday was a busy day because Evie's sister and her husband Jim were arriving late afternoon and would spend the night. So the usual pre-guest hustle dominated our morning.  I of course played for much of the morning, with early kayaking, breakfast in Bemus Point, then Yin Yoga. During class, I received a call from First Energy to say they would be coming to our neighborhood to cut down five ash behind our garage and trim our Willow. So I hurriedly left class and drove to Wegmans to do a quick run-through because there were some things Evie needed for our dinner. 

Now What? 

When I got home, the guys were already busy filling our parking area with tree limbs and the owner (moi) is responsible for getting rid of the trees and limbs. They worked for an hour, left for lunch, then returned after lunch to take down a few willow branches that I convinced them needed to be taken down.  I had a quick lunch, a couple of salami sandwiches, and briefly napped. While they were trimming the willow, I drove to Jamestown and dropped off a letter from the IRS at my tax guys' office. Supposedly there's a discrepancy in my W'2s from the last two years which probably means I owe money. Anyways, my accountant will straighten it out. On the way home, I stopped at Peterson's and picked up another basket of peaches. 

While I was gone, Evie was prepping dinner, moussaka, and a peach and blueberry crisp as well.  I helped with some vacuuming and cleaning the porch while she worked inside. By 3:00 we were ready to relax and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. Around 5:30, Elaine and Jim arrived, tired from their drive from Chicago which took close to eight hours, lots of traffic and construction. We sat on the front porch, enjoying drinks, and tried to figure out when was the last time Jim had been here, maybe 15 years. He does remember riding his bike out from Cleveland which would have been the 1980s. 

A Greek Dinner

It was a lovely night to sit on the porch and catch up on their family and their lives in Oak Park. It cooled off some but we still were able to eat outside and the moussaka was straight out of a Greek Taverna, along with salad, bread, and sweet corn. After dinner, we walked the neighborhood, cleaned up the kitchen, had our peach and blueberry crisp with ice cream, and stayed up talking until the ungodly hour of 11:15.  What were we thinking? It was a fun night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...