Monday, December 19, 2022

Five Inches Of Snow And 23º

7:52

It's a strange morning because we are both up early, checking the weather, and watching a few snowflakes fall. It's still dark here at 7:00 so I cannot be sure the lake's frozen. It looks like we might get another inch or two during the day but no winter storm warnings. Well, I paddled for forty minutes and I was surprised to see the lake was not yet frozen although the paddling was tough as the lake is getting soupy. Like yesterday, it snowed while I kayaked but fortunately, there was little wind.

Kayak Morning

Sunday was another day for television, as both the World Cup and NFL filled out the day, a movie our night. I did manage to get in a paddle on a lake that seemed to be ready to freeze as I paddled through what I would call soup. I was back by 9:00, had breakfast, and finished the blog in time to watch the France/Argentina World Cup Final. Argentina dominated the game for three quarters, going up 2-0 until Mbappe, perhaps the best young player in the world at the moment,  scored on a penalty kick and a minute later, a goal, tying the game, and sending it into overtime. Both Mbappe and Messi, arguably the greatest player of all time, scored in overtime, tying the game 3-3. Argentina then won the shoot-out 4-2 to become World Champions, capping Messi's amazing career.  It was the most thrilling  World Cup futbol game I have ever seen since I started watching them in 1974 when Germany defeated the Netherlands.

After the game, Evie made us breakfast, an omelet with feta cheese and tomatoes, along with a bagel, and we were ready to have a leisurely afternoon. We both watched some TV, football for me, a movie for Evie and I read and napped until about 4:30 when I went outside and shoved snow for about 15 minutes, wanting to keep up with the snowfall. 

Dusk

We then had our usual wine time until dinner, the leftover chili on pasta with a salad. We decided to watch a film called The Swimmers, about two Syrian girls who flee Syria and hope to swim in the Olympics in Brazil in 2016. Their escape from Syria, through Turkey, Greece, and Europe is harrowing, making anyone sympathize with the plights of refugees all over the world, some 30 million (half under 18 years of age), according to the film. And once again it made us realize how fortunate we are as Americans to live such a good life. We both thought the film was a bit too long but worth watching. We then watched a bit of football before going to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...