Wednesday, December 14, 2022

An Amazing Morning Light

7:15

7:18

7:18

7:45

I was up at 7:00 to a southeastern sky filled with light, the lake placid, and the temperature a chilly 21º, perfect for kayaking really with no wind. I sat around with my coffee, reading on my Mac until 8:00 and then I went out on the lake, despite the bangs of duck hunters. Well, when I went out to get my kayak in the water, I found the lake was frozen along the shoreline. I almost said the heck with it but then found a shallow spot where I could break the ice and walked along the shoreline breaking the ice so I could paddle out. I wanted to paddle over towards Long Point where at least 500 or more seagulls were huddled on an ice floe, at least a hundred yards long. It was amazing and as I got close, I could see them huddled for warmth. I was carefully paddling because I didn't want to get stuck out there because of an ice floe so I stayed closer to shore than usual and went around any floes that I encountered. And by the time I returned, my hands were frozen from the 21º weather. 

Kayak Morning

A Huddle Of Seagulls






Keeping Warm

Yesterday was a busy morning for me, and a busy one in the afternoon for Evie. I got in a good forty-five-minute paddle before breakfast and finished the blog. I then drove to yoga for a welcome class with Courtney, then drove to Lakewood for another eye appointment. Of course, I waited an hour to see the eye doctor, and sat for five minutes to find out I would need laser surgery which would take five minutes to clear my cloudy lens. I guess this happens to many people who have had cataract surgery. 

A Beautiful Lake Afternoon

So I was home by 12:45 and Evie had two hot dogs browned for my lunch and she took off for a big shopping day at Wegmans, Aldis, and TJ Maxx. I enjoyed my lunch, read some, took a nap, then watched the World Cup futbol game between Croatia and Argentina. I specifically watched Lionel Messi, the best player in the world the past ten years. It was a revelation because he literally stood around midfield, rarely chasing a ball for 75 to 80% of the time but when he did get the ball, it was magic, leading to a goal or a shot on goal. It was fun to watch but an awfully long wait for excitement, typical of soccer.

Victoria Creek

Evie came home at 4:30, the car groaning with bags of groceries. l helped bring everything in and put it away just in time for Evie's Zoom call with her sisters. I decided to go for a half hour walk in the woods just as the sun was setting. It was a different kind of hike because of the setting sun but I enjoyed it, finishing in the dark.

Dusk

For dinner, we had a typical big breakfast, with eggs, sausages, and home fries and we loved it. We were excited to finish the last two episodes of White Lotus and loved it. It's a must-see if you haven't started it yet. Both seasons are really good, and we are tempted to rewatch Season One. We finished the night with a Hometown before bed.


New Think: "I should be suspicious of what I want." Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...