Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Another Day, Another Drive

Family

It's still dark as I sit in my daughter Jill's living room, enjoying my first two cups of coffee. I can hear my granddaughter, Halle, stirring upstairs because she has to leave for school at the ungodly hour of 7:00.

Yesterday, as I mentioned in my blog, was a day of grieving and celebrating the life of my brother-in-law. Walt. Unfortunately, our son Tom and his wife Mary, both in town for the wake, flew home yesterday because Mary was not feeling well and it did not make sense to stick around. She just wanted to get home and we don't blame her. All seems well and they made it home to Kansas City in good time.

The four of us left for the Unitarian Universalist Church in Reston at 11:45, arrived by 12: 40 and were pleasantly surprised by all the cars, and the friends gathering to honor Walt. Everything about the wake was touching, from the four speakers to the music, and the readings. Walt's daughter Julia gave a wonderful eulogy, as well as two of Walt's high school friends, and cousin Bob. They brought back so many memories for all of us of Walt, especially his courage in fighting cancer over the past 15 years.  . Both Bob and Walt are big John Prine fans so Bob quoted from a Prine song called "When I Get To Heaven." It brought tears as well as made me laugh because it seemed so appropriate to Walt. 

When I get to heavenI'm gonna shake God's handThank Him for more blessings than one man can standThen I'm gonna get a guitarAnd start a rock-n-roll bandCheck into a swell hotelAin't the afterlife grand?

We gathered at the outdoor patio of a restaurant in Restons called Red's and it was fun getting to meet some of both Walt's and my sister Ellen's friends, as well as catching up with our family from Cleveland who also made the drive. Most stayed until 5:00 but we went back to Ellen's along with my sister Linda's family and stayed till 9:00. It was a good way to end the day, as Anna and Luke, Ellen's grandchildren came over as well as my sister Linda's first great-grandchild, Molly and they made Evie's night. She can never get enough playtime with kids. We had lasagna from my sister Linda's family which was nice as well as wine or beer. It was difficult saying good-by to Ellen and her kids and grandchildren but we will be back in a couple of weeks. 

We drove home in the dark but the roads were not busy so it was an easy drive. We sat up talking until 9:30 when we once again decided to go to bed earlier than usual. It was a full day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...