Friday, December 30, 2022

Another Big Thaw, Alas

8:00

Unfortunately, this morning seems to be typical Chautauqua weather. We get a great snowfall and the lake freezes, then it warms up and melts everything. Why can't it just stay white with snow and a frozen lake, rather than the debris left behind by the snowplows, trucks, and cars? It looks like it will get up to the 50s today and stay in the 40s and 50s through Wednesday or Thursday which means I will probably be able to kayak in a day or two.

Mallards This Morning

Today's an exciting day for Evie because we get our Bosch dishwasher replaced because of a dented dishwasher. The guys should be here this morning; let's hope so. Anyways, yesterday was a mostly gray day that started with breakfast in Bemus, then the blog. l wanted to get on a hike and since Evie had a mammogram appointment in the afternoon, she elected to stay home. I decided to walk Dobbins Woods, about a ten-minute drive from here. We have always liked the hike although they have changed the trail in the past couple of years which we don't like as well. Because of the thaw and the fact that others had been out on the trail, it was crusty, with divots and icy, especially on the boardwalks so I had to be careful. It's a good thing I had my poles. I was out for forty-five minutes and I ran into a Mom walking a dog with a baby on her back. I warned her about the ice and told her to be careful but still worried that she might trip or fall. I had to assure she was familiar with the trail and knew what she was doing.

Trail Of Many Hemlocks

12:05

When I returned home, Evie was getting ready to drive to Westfield for her x-ray but had time to make me an egg salad sandwich before she left. I ate my sandwich and finished watching the Jack Ryan series on Prime. I then relaxed for a couple of hours until Evie returned, either reading or taking a short nap. She was home by 3:00 and around 4:00 I went out to check the lake, to see how frozen it was and ended up filling another pail with deadfall. Snow and wind are good at trimming trees and cheap.


4:10

We had our usual glass of wine as the sky darkened and by 6:30, Evie had fried up some leftover potatoes, made a salad, a grilled a couple of pork chops in our air fryer. The pork chops were great, as was everything. We watched a decent movie called Tully, about the difficulties and postpartum blues a mother of two and a newborn faces. Because her life and family seemed to be falling apart, she gets a night nanny who ends up resurrecting her life and the family.  A powerful film about motherhood, it made me wonder how Evie was able to raise three kids under five in both Hawaii and Istanbul with a clueless husband who was often off surfing or playing basketball,...a wonder woman I guess. We then watched another Nate and Jerimiah episode, an HGTB show for an hour before bed.

On Thawing Ice



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...