Wednesday, August 18, 2021

It's Raining

7:45

It's just 8:00 and I have been up reading and listening to podcasts since 6:30, and it has been raining the entire time so I have yet to get out on the lake.  My Pungo kayak is back from the shop and I want to try it out to see how it compares to Evie's kayak which I have been using for the past four months. Yep, it took four months for my kayak to get out of the shop. I did get out on the water for about 20 minutes and returned soaked in my rain suit. 

Paddling In The Rain

Tuesday was wet and humid for most of the day.  We both thought the half-inch of rain would cool things off but it just seemed to make it more humid, not cooler. I kayaked for forty-five minutes in an occasional light drizzle. Afterward, I finished the blog, had breakfast, and got ready to drive to yoga class. Maybe eight of us were in a good class and I was the only one wearing a mask. I don't know whether to feel like a fool or a trailblazer, pointing the way.  We had a small shopping list, so I went to Wegman's and was in and out quickly as more shoppers wore masks.  

I drove home in light rain and Evie was ready with a stool and scissors, waiting to give me a much-needed haircut. Because of the rain, she cut my hair in the TV room and when I was done, I went for a swim and washed my hair in the lake.  Evie had my lunch ready, a schnitzel sandwich with mayo and tomatoes when I dried off and came in. Yum. I have begun watching a series on Netflix called Capitani, set in a small town in Luxembourg. 

We both relaxed or wasted the rest of the afternoon, either reading, napping, or watching TV.  We are both getting pretty good at all three.  Evie recently read a couple of Anne Tyler novels and is currently reading "Unless" by Carol Shields.  Around 4:15, I drove to Mayville and picked up my kayak at Evergreen Outfitters, plopped on my car's roof, and drove it home, finally. While I was out, Evie attempted a Zoom call with her sister Jean but the phones kept freezing up so they gave up. Earlier, Evie had marinated two steaks in teriyaki sauce and sauteed mushrooms. It was still too early to grill the steaks so we sat out on the front porch, enjoying a glass of wine and listening to the rain.  Fortunately, when it was time to grill the steaks outside, it had stopped raining. The steaks were nicely done, rare enough for Evie as I am getting better at grilling them. We each had two ears of fresh corn to go along with a salad.  We watched Colbert and the last episode of The White Lotus on HBO and we both give the series a thumbs up.  It's worth watching.  

Colors Of August


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...