Monday, August 30, 2021

An Overcast and Gray Morning

7:21

It's 8:45 as I start this blog although I was up at 6:30 to dark skies, a light drizzle.  I went out to paddle in my raincoat, felt a few drops of rain but that was it, just threatening skies.  At the moment, it is in the 70s and may not get much warmer and may not get back in the 80s for quite a while.

Kayak Morning




Sunday, however, was another hot and humid day, the sixth or seventh in a row. We were both up early and I got in a paddle before it became too warm.  I was tired of sitting around and did not want to waste the morning so put my bike on my bike rack and drove down to Mayville's park. It was warm but most of the time I had a breeze so my 50-minute bike ride was not too bad.  Much of the ride was in the shade and I kept off the dangerous #394, with traffic going at a 55mph minimum.  Just as I put my bike back on the rack, it started to rain some so I timed it perfectly.

Northern End Of Lake

Evie was on the porch reading when I returned, the only cool spot in the house.  Around 12:30, she heated up the leftover sausage and grits casserole, fried up a couple of eggs and I had my big breakfast.  I couldn't wait to get back to my series, Proof,  I then read and napped, my usual, and later joined Evie on the porch because another brief thunderstorm arrived, chasing her off the dock. We both have lost our mojo, a result of the flooding of our kitchen floor and uncertainty as to what to with it.

Good Friends

We both showered at 4:30 because we were having dinner at our friend Wendy's house, along with two other couples. We had dinner with Fred and Judy a few weeks ago but neither of us had seen Cle and Penny in a couple of years so it was great fun to see them again.  We had appetizers and wine in Wendy's living room, then a delicious chicken casserole for dinner.  Both Evie and I have known Cle and Penny since the 80s because I taught both of their sons at Reserve and their son Robbie was our son Tom's very good friend.  So it was a fun night, lots of reminiscing and catching up with all five. For dessert with had brownies and ice cream. We then said our goodbyes and vowed to see each other more often. We were home around 8:45, in time to watch an episode of Real Time With Bill Maher, our only political fix of the week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...