Sunday, August 15, 2021

A Welome Morning Chill

Garden At Dusk

6:31

7:13

I woke up to a 55º morning and even thought about putting on a fleece but decided to rough it. I was greeted by fog rising but by the time I got out and kayaked, the fog had begun to lifet, the sun breaking through the clouds.

Kayak Morning

Blue Skies To The North

Sun Rising To The East

Heron And Mallards

Saturday was a busy morning for me because I had two things I wanted to get done.  First, obviously, was a trip to the Transfer Station which did not take much time or effort.  Secondly, however, after kayaking and the blog, I wanted to take down the purple martin houses since the martins had fledged headed South. It's usually an easy task but this year was different as I really struggled to get the poles out of the muck, sand, and rock. It took me close to an hour to get both houses out along with their poles.  I had to use both a shovel to clear the mud around the poles and a hammer to get the martin pole out of the aluminum pole. Once I got them out, I took them apart, cleaned out each house, then took them back down to the lake and washed them out with a brush, getting them clean and ready for next Spring.  By the time  I was done, I took up a quick trip to the Transfer Station, came home and Evie, the good wife, had lunch ready, two toasted cheese sandwiches with jam.

I watched the final episode of Hit and Run, disappointing to say the least, as it just set the viewer up for another batch of episodes. I was happy to get back to my book, by David Silva, finish it and start a new one, The Essense of Nathan Biddle by J. William Lewis.  Its protagonist has been compared to Holden Caulfield. So far so good. Evie spent most of the day happily on either the dock, side yard, or porch, depending on the noise from the Babe Ruth baseball team which were staying in the cottages. They were a noisy, boisterous bunch, having fun. 

Evening At The Big Inlet Farm Brewery

By 5:00, we were both showering and getting ready to pick up Linda and Ron at 6:15 and drove to The Big Inlet Brewery.  Just as we arrived, a number of people were leaving so we easily found a parking space and a table outside, close to the stage where a Bluegrass Band was playing. We spent a couple of hours enjoying the farm brews, cheese and crackers, popcorn, and ribs from Melch's Kitchen. It was a perfect night, with a light breeze, lots of sun, and blue skies, good friends, and music. We left around 8:00 as things quieted down, drove through a busy Mayville because of a band playing on the Floating Stage.

We were home in time to watch a few episodes of This Way Up and have blueberry crisp with ice cream to end the night.  It was another good day on the lake, getting some things done, relaxing, and enjoying a night out with friends.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...