Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sleeping In


Better Together (67 years)
6:36
It's 9:00 and I start this blog, later than usual.  I slept in to the ungodly hour of 6:30, did not get on the lake till 8:00 and Evie just got up as I walked in at 8:50, a couple of what my Mom would call sleepy heads.  I ran into five or six kayakers, out enjoying the calm morning waters and lots of guys fishing off our neighborhood of Woodlawn, the hot spot.

Kayak Morning
The Wonder Of The Natural World
Kicking Back On A Morning Paddle
Yesterday was bloody hot, felt like we were living in Florida or Arizona, as the temperature rose to close to 90º but the humidity made it worse.  We were having Bill and Joyce over for dinner to celebrate their 67th anniversary so we wanted to get everything prepped that we could in the morning before it got too hot.  So after the blog and kayaking, Evie put potatoes in the oven, to begin the process of making twice baked potatoes and got out a steak, to marinate with soy later in the afternoon.  She also cleaned up a pound of mushrooms, so they would be ready to saute later in the day.  I got out the hedge clippers and gave our privets a shearing, keeping them nice and trimmed.

Once that was done, we gathered the trash, cleaned out the refrigerator, and I was off to the Transfer Station.  I talked briefly with a guy who remembers my daughter Beth because they taught together at Mercersburg Academy back in the 1990s, a small world.  When I returned home, I cleaned the grill and Evie set the table and we were basically ready to relax the rest of the day, avoid the heat, and look forward to dinner. without much fuss.

It was too hot to sit out on the dock so Evie tried under the tree but soon came in, joining me in the house where our fans made reading bearable.  I had my black bean soup with avocadoes and Tostitos for lunch, again, and watched my show and took a nap, upstairs in our air-conditioned bedroom. What a joy to be cool, read, and fall asleep,  I am good at it.

We were ready at 6:00 when Bill and Joyce arrived.  We figured it was cool enough to sit on our front porch but too hot to eat outside.  It was pleasant, in fact, both in and out.  We enjoyed light appetizers and beers for an hour, before coming in and sitting down to dinner.  While I grilled the steak, Evie put together a salad and sauteed the mushrooms.  The baked potatoes were already done.  I slice the steak into thin strips, and Evie served the steak with mushrooms, sauteed and finished with butter and soy sauce, with the potatoes and a large salad.  Dinner was quite good, the steak tender, the mushrooms juicy, and everyone loves twice baked potatoes. We had apple pie alamode on the porch for dessert, as the early evening finally began to cool off.  They stayed until 9:00 and we then quickly cleaned up the kitchen and had time to watch one more episode of Money Heist.  We are not thrilled with Part III.

Since we stayed inside most of yesterday because of the heat, I decided to look back at our photos from our lives in Hawaii in the 60s and Istanbul/Europe in the 70s.  They are mostly of our kids but they are such fun that I am going to occasionally add one to the end of each blog.

Tommy And Jill, Kavala Campground in Greece

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...