Thursday, July 30, 2020

A Chautauqua Gray Morning

6:29

6:29


I have just returned from an uneventful paddle, no photographs of interest, yet it was fine to be out on the lake in its utter grayness.  Most mornings have been filled with sun, not so today and I liked it.  I listened to a podcast about a book called The Twilight of Democracy.  Every Trumper should read it if they are capable.  It looks at the rise of authoritarianism, the demise of democracy in Poland and Hungary, and the United States of Trump, a scary read.

6:29

Yesterday brought some rain showers around noon but Evie was smart enough to get the lawn mowed and put the mower away just as it started.  I was a busy boy as well, putting together my new Weber Grill with the help of a friend or rather he put it together with a minimum of help from me. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes, as the directions suggested.  If I had done it alone, it would have taken a couple days as I am mechanically challenged.  Anyways by lunchtime, the lawn was cut and the grill was ready for barbecuing.  So what did we have for dinner?  BLTS! Go figure.

Lunch was the leftover chicken shwarma and rice, still tasty and filling and I watched my show.  I took a nap during the rain, woke to find Evie out in the side yard, enjoying the shade after the rain had stopped.
I sat with her for a bit, reading my book, got bored and went out on the dock, cast in my line and caught a small perch, a miracle.  

By 5:30, it was wine time on the front porch, with lime Tostitos and sweet onion salsa from Wegman's.  It was a pleasant evening as the rain had stopped, the sky cleared up and boats went home so we stayed out on the porch until we became hungry.  Evie fried up the bacon and made us sandwiches.  I had a Pepsi which always seems right with a BLT for some reason.  We started a series that we did not like, went back to the breaking news on CNN, and while channel surfing, found the movie "Julie and Julia" and rewatched the last half which was an enjoyable way to end the evening.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...