Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Gentle Rain

Social Distancing With Jerry and Jane
6:16
8:20
An overcast morning sky and light rain as I paddled for forty-five minutes, over to Long Point, Sandy Bottom and back.  No much action on the lake,  a couple of fishing boats, three kayakers, and me.  No wildlife to speak of, unfortunately.

Kayak Morning
Tuesday was a good day, a busy one for both of us but a good day.  It was still hot and humid but not as bad as the day before, in fact, by mid to late afternoon, it was decent out as the humidity dropped precipitously.  We were having Jane and Jerry over for dinner, long time friends, ready for a big change in their lives, by moving to The Villages in Florida in a few weeks.  So part of the day was spent prepping for dinner.  In the morning, Evie baked and made twice baked potatoes and the English cut had been marinating in the refrigerator overnight.  Once she felt organized, I drove over to Bemus and rode my bike for an hour despite the heat.  It was a good ride although I made the mistake of taking one of the Fat Tire Bike Clubs paths. I now know why they ride fat-tire bikes.  They absorb the vibration when riding over tree roots. Clearly, my bike is not meant for this sort of ride so I was shaken up by the end of the path, happy to get back on the regular trails. I stopped at The Wired coffee shop in Bemus and enjoyed a mango smoothie on their porch as I cooled off from my hour ride.

When I returned home, I cleaned up the kitchen while Evie gave both porches a quick cleaning.  For lunch, I had the last of black bean soup, with a few chunks of previously cooked potatoes thrown in to make it go farther.  I am having a hard time finding a book I want to read so I have started two or three, but none grabbed me. I started downloading more choices on my Kindle from the library.  I don't think it's the books but me.

We decided to grill the English cut around 4:00, then wrap it in foil until it was time to slice before dinner.  That took around twenty minutes, as the outside was nicely charred, the inside medium-rare to done.

Jerry and Jane arrived at 6:00, with two bottles of wine.  It was going to be a good night.  We sat out on the front porch, enjoying Boursin cheese on petit toast and red wine.  We had fun talking about their move, the advantages of living in Florida, especially in The Villages.  We went online and were able to view their home, all the rooms, and they look very Floridian which Jane wanted.

Before The Bees 
Around 7:30, we moved outside, started enjoying our English cut, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, and salad until the bees arrived.  They would not leave us alone and one even stung Jerry as he tried to wave it away.  Finally, we gathered up our plates and wine glasses and went inside to eat.  We have never had this happen before last night.  After dinner, Evie and Jane sat on the front porch, going through our recent photo album while Jerry and I sat inside, enjoying a glass of wine, talking about his readiness to retire from the construction business.  Both he and his son, Scott, built our house so we have been good friends for twenty-five years.

They left around 10:00 and we vowed to keep in touch even though they will be in Florida. We then did up most of the dishes, leaving a few for this morning.  We watched some TV until we both were ready for bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...