Thursday, July 9, 2020

One More Day

Evie's Garden at 5:45 In The Morning
6:05
Well, it's another hot and muggy morning, actually quite a striking morning, calm, blue lake, clear skies.  It should get up into the high 80's but tomorrow, the rain moves in for a few days, much needed by the way.  I paddled for an hour, over to Warner Bay, to Long Point, to Sandy Bottom and home.  I met three kayakers on the way and they hardly acknowledged my existence.  Strange, I find fellow kayakers to be unfriendly as if they resent another paddler on the lake.  I was rewarded with a couple of photos of a bald eagle and osprey, both perched again, high up in a pine tree.

Kayak Morning
Bald Eagle
Osprey
Yesterday was a typical morning, of paddling, blog, breakfast, then heat.  Evie was up early to water her garden, before the mid-morning sun.  I cleaned up the kitchen, paid bills online, did things like that.  After finishing Your House Will Pay by Steph Cha, set in LA, describing the animosity between Koreans and Blacks in the 1990s.  It's quite good.  And I started a very different novel, by Turkish novelist, Eliz Shafak titled 10 Minutes 38 Seconds In This Strange World.  It chronicles the life of a young girl brought up in a conservative and traditional eastern Turkish village in Van who runs away from home to Istanbul.  It does not go well. 

While Evie was outside manicuring her garden, I made a frittata of leftover pasta, tomatoes, eggs, parmesan cheese with Trader Joe's seasoning.  It was surprisingly good and I watched part of another episode of Hinterland although I am not taken with it but it is something to watch.  l then napped in our air-conditioned bedroom because the house was muggy, the outside stifling.  I joined Evie in the yard for an hour, then at 4:00, I drove into Jamestown to pick up some Thai food.  It took me an hour to get there and back, the only Asian restaurant nearby. 

Around 5:30, we went for a boat ride to cool off, over to Bemus and back and it was pleasant to be out on the lake. We were looking forward to our food for two reasons, it sounded good and there would be no need to cook or clean up.  The food, unfortunately, was average at best but Evie did not have to cook and I did not have to clean up.  We watched the news, the scary spreading of the virus, and Trump's attempts to minimize it despite the fact that three states lead the world in cases.  We're Number One!  We're Winning!   We watched two more episodes of Money Heist and both of us were really into it as we finished Part I and 2.  I cannot wait to start the next two parts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...