Friday, July 17, 2020

A Great Blue Heron Morning

5:55
8:21
It's a morning of puffy clouds and sun and a choppy lake, making it difficult to paddle and to take photographs,  A few bass boats were out early but no water skiers because of the chop.  I was kayaking for about an hour, along Woodlawn, across to Long Point, then back to Victoria and home. And, surprisingly, I was able to photograph four herons, in different places, on docks, in trees, among the reeds.

Kayak Morning
On A Dock

In A Tree
Among The Reeds
Cleaning Up
Yesterday was a day of large leisure for both of us because of severe weather warnings. I should have gone for a bike ride because it never stormed until 6:00 despite the warnings. Typical.  So after my paddle and blog, I had nothing to do so I decided to make up some black bean soup, one of my favorites.  I started sauteeing the onions and garlic, then added what I thought was a teaspoon of cumin but realized that it was cayenne pepper, not cumin.  Idiot. So I threw away the onions and garlic, and started over, with Evie's help as my sous chef and had it made by noon, in time to have a bowl with a bagel for lunch while I watched my show.

Dahlias Among The Hostas
Other than chopping onions and garlic, Evie spent the day reading on the porch and finished her book, American Dirt, mid-afternoon.  She loved it.  I did my usual, read and napped and looked for something to do, then read some more. 

Around 5:15, we went over to Barb and Jim's house, our neighbors five houses down, and sat on their front porch, with beers and appetizers.  Of course, the rain waited all day until we were on their porch but fortunately, the wind was from the north so we were protected.  Despite being neighbors, we have not seen them in a few weeks so it was fun catching up.  They like us have been careful to isolate themselves, so they have had few if any visitors. Neither of us feels that we can be too careful.

We left around 7:00 and walked home on a hot, humid evening, the rain, however, having stopped,  We received a touch less than a half an inch, just enough for Evie's garden to be happy.  We had the bolognese sauce on pasta which Evie had frozen a week ago along with a salad and more corn on the cob from Petersons. We watched Colbert, two more episodes of Part III of Money Heist, and enjoyed another serving of cherry pie a la mode for dessert  And that was it for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...