Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Another Day Of Large Leisure


7:03
7:04
7:30
8:59
It's 7:46 and I have been up for an hour, a quiet morning, what else, except for the honking of geese.  It's partly cloudy, with a slash of white in the sky over Bemus Bay.  I am listening to a podcast, The Daily from the New York Times.  Today it's a discussion of the 'race for a vaccine', by a German company, Curavac, that Trump tried to buy for a billion dollars a couple of weeks ago and move it to the US after he heard in a meeting that they were developing a vaccine. The reality is that Trump wanted to get it so the US would be first in line for the vaccine, not Germans.  Later, the Chinese also tried to buy a German drug company, for the same reason.  By the way, evidence for this seems murky but it probably happened.  It raises the question of who gets the vaccine once it's developed? The good news is that labs and biotech firms are sharing information and breakthroughs with each other, working as a team, not as separate firms or countries. 

Choppy lake And Blue Skies
Waves And Clouds
I just came back from kayaking and it's now 9:15.  It was a choppy morning on the lake, as the wind picked up on the way back and it was surprisingly cold.  I did not get any photos because of the choppy lake, as both the buffleheads and me were bobbing up and down because of the waves. 

Breakfast: Black Bread, Jam, Feta Cheese
Yesterday we basically stayed home, no trips to the grocery store.  It was a mostly cloudy day once again but I was able to kayak on a smooth, windless lake, the best.  I could have stayed out another hour, just paddling around with no wind. When I returned, we were faced with the obvious morning question, what to do with our day.  Evie decided to make a black bread recipe with rye flour, whole wheat flour, espresso powder, shallots, fennel and caraway seeds, lots of goodies.  I got out the large mixer and she put things together while I went for a brief walkthrough Victoria and ended up raking up the last of the wind deadfall in the yard.  It felt good to be outside doing something.  I filled a couple of garbage barrels up with twigs and leaves and took it up the hill late afternoon.

Woodlawn, Tuesday Morning
Victoria In Fall Or Spring?
I was through with my chores around noon and Evie had the dough together and left it to rise for a couple of hours, covered in tea towels.  For lunch, Evie warmed up the spaghetti and meatballs from Sunday's dinner and I watched more of my show.  I am not crazy about it but I will stick with it because I am wondering how they can have a second season.  I then read some, moving back and forth between a Virgil Flowers thriller and American Dirt.  I napped briefly and then joined Evie while the bread was baking and watched some of the 'not breaking news.'

Walking The Dogs
I finished up the yard work late afternoon and took the leaves up the hill, happy to have a cleaned up yard.  After relaxing on our couches for an hour, I drove to Steeners Pub for their two steaks for twenty bucks special.  I was one of two people in the restaurant and my dinner was ready, so I was in and out quickly and home by 7:00.  The steaks were surprisingly good if not as hot as we would have liked and of course, their fries are always good.  We stuck with the Neverending Trump Reality Show, which gets great ratings according to Trump, obviously his main concern, not the virus.  We finished the Netflix series we started on Tuesday, UNORTHODOX and loved it.  We recommend it highly and make sure to watch the 15-minute trailer at the end on the making of the film.  It was as interesting as the series. We ended the night with a couple of The Americans, as Matthew becomes increasingly disenchanted with his 'work.'

On To Wegmans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...