Sunday, April 5, 2020

Docks In


7:42
8:36
It's 8:36 as I start this, having been up since 6:45.  I just returned from a forty-five-minute paddle, as the sun peaked in and out of the clouds, the wind picked up as I paddled back from Sandy Bottom.  The waterfowl are sparse but I did get a couple of photos of buffleheads, mergansers, and a loon.  I have not seen an eagle or hawk in a week or two and no herons yet.

Kayak Morning
Southern Sky
Northern Sky
Yesterday was a glorious day and we were grateful to enjoy it, both in and out.  I had a great morning kayaking, mostly because of the calm lake, the sun, the blue skies.  I did not want to come in. We took our time in the morning, in no hurry to get up from our coffee and couch.  Eventually, we did and Evie cleaned out the refrigerator and I gathered trash and drove to the Transfer Station.  I needed cash because Chris and Austin, the guys who put in our dock, said they might be by this weekend to put our dock in.  So I drove to Key Bank and there was a long line of cars for the deposit lane.  The ATM was open but I could not get to it unless I waited in line. I decided to park my car and walked up to the ATM and got my cash, an easy solution.  I also stopped and got my car washed because it's still too cold to wash it in our yard.

Juvenile Loon
Hooded Mergansers 
 Mergansers Looking For Food

Splashing Buffleheads
I was home by noon, ready for some lunch.  I heated up the lentil coup and made myself a couple of pieces of toast with jam and feta cheese and I was happy, watching my show, waiting to take a nap because I was up so early.  Just as I was about to take a nap, the dock guys drove up and there went my nap.  We are the first one's to get our dock in earlier than usual but I assume the guys need the money and want to get going on putting in the docks despite the cold water. They must put in thirty or forty docks and make pretty good money. 

Dock Guy
They spent a good two hours, getting the dock in, straight and level so Evie was happy.  She loves having our dock in, ready for summer.  I worked in the yard, cleaning up the leaves and zebra mussels where we stored the dock pieces.  When they put in our end pieces, they were up to their neck in cold water but managed to get it right.  They are good guys, hard-working and fun.

Long Point, Late Afternoon
Manhattan Time
We look forward to Saturdays because that's the one night a week we allow ourselves a Manhattan or two and yesterday was no exception.  Evie got out the chips and dip, the pretzels, and I made the Mahnattasns.  The lake was a striking blue, as was the sky, so we loved just sitting on our couch, taking in the view, enjoying our drink and appetizers, listening to music, the good life.  For dinner, we had meatloaf sandwiches with freshly made coleslaw.  It was just right after the Utz chips and dip.  We were looking forward to the return of Bill Maher's Real-Time.  He's always entertaining if not outrageous and he did hot disappoint.  We ended the night as usual with an episode of The Americans. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...