Thursday, April 9, 2020

Rain And Howling Winds And, Yes, Snow


Yesterday at 5:00
This Morning At 8:00
This Morning At 8:40
This Morning At 9:12
It's 8:00, the lake surface is beginning to ruffle and I am happy to be back on my couch after kayaking for a half-hour in a drizzle, watching the storm clouds move down the lake.  It's 46º but the temperature will drop into the low 30's over the next twenty-four hours and snow is predicted.  As I finish this, the wind is howling, the lake is filled with white caps, almost big enough to surf! And it's sleeting but now snowing big fluffy lakes at 8:38.

6:28
8:02
Yesterday began with a heavy fog although I got in a paddle.  And then to both of our surprise, the sky opened up, the sun came out and we had blue skies the rest of the day with a clear sky evening with a striking pink super moon, the largest of 2020.  Since it was foggy until about 10:30, I decided to get back in a routine and practiced yoga for forty-five minutes.  As usual, I felt much better after, fewer aches and pains!  Around 11:00, the sun came out so we decided to get in a walk at the Chautauqua Institution.  On the way, we stopped at a bed and breakfast which was advertising face masks for twelve bucks.  We walked up on the porch, picked out two, put twenty-four bucks in a plastic bag, then went to the CI for a walk.  A few were out walking like us but mostly we saw construction guys, working on renovating homes.

Kayak Morning
Looking South
We were home around 12:30, time for my lunch and series.  There was enough of yesterday's cannellini beans, tuna, and avocado salad left, so I finished it off and watched my show.  While Evie went on to enjoy the dock, brave the wind, I read my book, knowing I wanted to finish it sooner rather than later but fell asleep because I was up so early.  Evie was back from the dock when I woke, as the wind got to be too much.

For some reason, I felt energetic after my nap and it was sunny out, the lake blue, I decided it was time to raise my purple martin house before they arrive, supposedly on April 15th although I saw scouts yesterday morning. So I put the doors on the house, put on my waders and first, hammered a pipe into the lake.  Once it was sturdy, I walked out the house out to the pipe a stuck the pole into the pipe and raised the house.  And, voila, the house was ready for purple martins.

Because it was Wednesday, we were going to pick up wings from Steener's Pub.   So, just as the Trump Reality began, Evie called Steeners and I drove off to Greenhurst to pick up a double order, grilled, along with fries.  They have changed their routine so that a gal brings out the order to your car so you don't have to walk into the pub.  The wings were ready when I got there, and I paid, left a good tip, and was home in ten minutes.  The wings were decent, the fries warm, not hot; there's obviously something lost when you are not sitting at a bar, with a beer, talking with a regular.  O, well, maybe in a couple of months.  We had enough of the Trump show so we binged watched three episodes of The Americans and have just five more to go before we finish the series.  We were treated, before bed, to a pink super moon, hanging over Bemus Bay on a clear evening sky.




Moon Over Bemus Bay

I was happy to get back to my book after the shows although I have not quite finished.  They are close to the end of their arduous journey, camped somewhere on the Arizona desert, about ready to hook up with a couple of RV's which will drive them to Tucson and safety.  So now there's still going to be

As I finish, I am wondering how history will look at 2020. We are living in transformational times, not only because of Covid19 but also Trump, both unexpected and lethal, one to our health, the other to our Democracy.  We will "prevail and endure," as William Faulkner concludes in his Nobel Prize-winning speech. I hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...