Monday, April 13, 2020

Heavy Wind Warning, Gray Skies And Drizzle


7:26
6:53
6:54
7:57
It's 8:00 and I have been up since 6:00, listening to MSNBC until I soon became sick of their nonstop refrain, that the Trump White House acted slowly in response to Covid19.  All right already.  Instead, I listened to Fresh Air podcast called 'Remembering John Prine.'  I wish we had discovered his music earlier (thanks Barb and Jim) because he's a master lyricist, so fresh and honest.  Although the weather looked threatening and there was a high wind alert, I put on my slicker and went for a fairly nice paddle, no rain, a light wind, lots of gray sky and lake, a few buffleheads.  I am glad I went.

Kayaking North
March Of Buffleheads
Kayaking South Towards Bemus Bay
Yesterday was a strange Easter, as the streets were empty as everyone seemed to observe the stay at home request.  A few like us ventured out for a walk around the Chautauqua Institution.  We were the only ones out except for a family of five on an Easter egg hunt.  It looked like they were having fun.  Before our walk, I did get in a paddle and was excited to photograph a wood duck.  And both yesterday and this morning, I saw a great blue heron flying overhead so they are around, just not perched where I can photograph them.

Chautauqua Institution
When we returned home, I wanted the cheddar/broccoli soup for lunch so we skipped the bacon and eggs but watched CBS Sunday Morning.  The rest of the afternoon was typical as we both found spots to enjoy our leisure, either reading, watching TV or napping,  For some reason, we were both more tired than usual so we never did get outside again to enjoy the sun.  We did prepare, however, for the high wind warnings, with gusts supposedly up to 70 mph today.  I made sure the boats were secure, the chairs on the dock and we got out the flashlights and propane burner in case we lose electricity and need to cook something.

We were having a traditional Easter dinner, just for two, a boneless leg of lamb with roasted potatoes,. Evie had marinaded it overnight so it was ready to put in the oven around 5:00 along with the potatoes.  It was done earlier than expected so our wine time was shortened, this time a nice Petite
Syrah.  After letting the lamb rest for 15 minutes, I pulled out my Dad's carving knife and sliced the lamb quite thin.  We enjoyed our Easter dinner, both the lamb and potatoes and watched the first episode of a new Acorn series called Deadwater Fell.  We thought we could binge watch it but only the first episode was available. We will have to wait until next week.  We were at a loss as to what to watch so Evie started Cheers and we watched five or six episodes, all with Diane and its lost nothing over the years.  It proves clever writing and great actors are the essentials of a memorable, groundbreaking series.  I would put The Dick Van Dyck Show, All In The Family, Mash, Hill Street Blues, ER, Seinfeld, The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Americans in that category as well.  All are binge worth. Sorry, we never got into Friends

I couldn't resist this cartoon; it's too perfect: a cartoon is worth a thousand words.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...