Saturday, April 11, 2020

Gray, Cold, A Dusting Of White


View From "Our" Window
It's 8:50 as I sit down to write this and I just returned from an invigorating paddle, down to Sandy Bottom and back, chasing one raft after another of buffleheads.  It's 32º so I dressed warmly, a fleece and waterproof windbreaker, stocking cap, and insulated gloves.  The impetus for the photo above comes from our daughter in law, Mary, who suggested we follow on Facebook View From My Window, an amazing group of photographs from all over the world.

7:02 AM
Yesterday was a definite schizophrenic type of day.  The morning was nasty, cold, set, with a combination of sleet and snow much of the morning and early afternoon.  Then, around 3:30, the other half of the day took over and the sun came out, the skies were blue with puffy clouds and it ended up being a spectacular late afternoon and early evening.

Kayak Morning
We did not do much in the morning as there was nothing tempting about the outdoors.  In fact, as I think back on the morning, I can't remember doing anything different from the usual blog, breakfast and clean up the kitchen.  Evie, however, why feeling her oats and while I wasted the morning,  made a delicious cheddar cheese broccoli soup.  I couldn't wait for lunch to have it and I even had seconds to go along with my salami sandwich.

Taking A Snow Nap
Because I had a bad night, getting up at 5:00, I went upstairs and took a nap around 1:00 and woke up at 3:00. Clearly, I must have been tired.  When I woke, the sun was peaking through the windows so I was excited to do something.  So I pulled out my yoga mat and practiced for forty-five minutes, with a view of the lake as I practiced.

Late Afternoon Sky
Long Point At 6:10 pm
Because it was such an amazing afternoon and as the day ebbed, the view got better, so we decided to make it a Manhattan night.  Evie pulled out the dip, radishes, pretzels, almonds and spicy cashews for appetizers and we enjoyed the waning of the day, taking photograph after photograph as each moment seemed more spectacular than the last. We listened to Apple music, an eclectic mix, from John Prine, to Bruce, to Billie Eilish, to The Band.  We both had a hankering for hot dogs.

6:29 pm
Bemus Point and Ellery Farm
Earlier, Evie had pulled out some frozen chili, so after our Manhattans and appetizers, we had chili dogs and chips and watched an old movie we have always liked, Witness with Harrison Ford.  We ended the evening with some Home Improvement shows before going up to read and then sleep.  I am enjoying Le Carre's The Night Manager.

And as our talk show host in chief solemnly proclaimed yesterday," Have a Happy Good Friday."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...