Friday, July 5, 2024

After The Fourth Of July

My Team In Turkey

6:54

9:06

It's over, the picnics, the friends gathering, the parades, and the fireworks. This morning's skies are filled with gray clouds and the air has cooled off some to 66º. Boats are out, a couple of skiers have just gone by as well as an obnoxious speed boat, its roar punctuating the morning. Boats like that should be banned from the lake. It's 9:25 and I paddled on a calm lake for 50 minutes, my usual route, along Woodlawn, across to Long Point, back across to Sandy Bottom, and home. 

Kayak Morning

Heron Soaking In The Sun

Hawk

Yesterday was another warm one, a day of prepping and waiting for our friends to arrive. I did get in a decent paddle to start the day, a good beginning although by the time I returned, I was already tired and it was too late to go to Mayville to watch the parade. So while Evie made icebox pudding for our 4th of July dessert, I checked to make sure the grill was working and set up new chairs and readied the yard for the afternoon fun. I also cleaned the porch and did a few other things like cleaning up the kitchen before lunch, a bagel with egg and tomatoes.

Dinner

We were able to relax much of the afternoon once dinner was prepped and I took a good much-needed hour nap. It was still too hot to sit outside so remained in the house, reading or watching some TV with fans on. We both showered to cool of around 5:00 and Linda and Ron arrived at 6:00. We never did make it out on to the lawn chairs, content to sit on the porch with a fan. We started the afternoon with beers and switched to wine when we had dinner. 


Happy Fourth

Fortunately, we were able to eat outside under an umbrella. Around 7:30, Ron and I grilled the barbecue chicken and Evie finished her Tennessee onion dish and egg noodles cooked in chicken broth. We sat outside and enjoyed our dinner, then another bottle of wine as it got dark and cooled off. The fireworks started around 9:30 and Ron and I lit our flares just before 10:00. It was an evening filled with fireworks up and down the lake as well as flares. Linda and Ron left just after 10:00, hopefully to miss the traffic from the Mayville fireworks. Evie was exhausted after they left and went up to bed but I stayed up and did the dishes and sat in the living room watching the fireworks until I too got tired and went up to bed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...