Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Here Comes The Rain

7:20

7:56

It's a typical morning sky lately, gray with a white lake and a bird feeder filled with hungry finches. It's 29º and it's supposed to snow for the next six hours but so far, just occasional drizzle. Three or four ice fishing tents have popped up along the Long Point shoreline, none off of Victoria. 

Yesterday was a Monday, felt like Sunday, perhaps because we were having Linda and Ron to dinner and usually it was a Sunday. It was a day of prepping for dinner, on and off, intermixed with reading, napping, and watching some TV. Neither of us had the energy or 'want to' to go for a hike although it warmed up to 30º later in the day. So for me, it was a long morning, punctuated by filling and emptying the dishwasher. I am getting good at that.

Lunch was chicken salad and the last of Evie's vegetarian soup. I am getting towards the end of The Wire's last season and have begun thinking about what I should watch next during lunch. We were having baby back ribs and homemade mac n cheese for dinner, so I helped with the ribs, trimming and pulling off the skin of the back of the ribs before Evie covered them with a rub. Once she no longer needed my help, I took a nice nap because I was up so early and read my book, following Harry Bosch in his search for the tunnel killer, who killed a friend from their days in Vietnam. Evie's prepping went well until she discovered she used ginger rather than mustard in the liquid for the mac n cheese. She let out a scream and I joined her in the kitchen, calming her down she made another five cups of liquid and all was well. The last thing to do was put together the appetizer, Buffalo chicken egg rolls, and bake them just before Ron and Linda arrived. 

Late Afternoon Ice Fishing

After they arrived, we sat around the fireplace, enjoying the eggrolls and wine, catching up on what's been happening over the past ten days, not a lot of good because two of Linda's friends lost their husbands and we lost a good friend, part of my breakfast club. Dinner, however, perked us up, the ribs were falling off the bones tender and tasty, as well as the mac n cheese and coleslaw. We had brownies and ice cream for dessert, and while Ron and I were enjoying our desserts, the gals were in the kitchen, cleaning up some, filling the kitchen with laughter and giggles, about what I am not sure. They left for home around 9:30 and I cleaned up the kitchen while Evie went up to bed, tired but happy with her day. 

Dinner


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...